TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1969 Javelin SST 343 Restoration - minimal mods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Javelin SST 343 Restoration - minimal mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Javelin SST 343 Restoration - minimal mods
    Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:46pm
Well I guess its time to share my story of my beautiful Javelin. From the day I picked up it and towed it to my family shop and where I am at today. 

Background: My dad has restored many cars back in his youth including a 55 Chevy that had wheelie bars, and old school Dodge Charger, and several others. Unfortunately, he had a family moved several times out of state and all of the cars were sold long before I was born 26 years ago. I've grown up in the transmission world and around cars my whole life(dad has owned or managed a shop for over 30 years now). Once I started in college I had a longing for a project car my freshman year over the summer. I did a lot of research and started hunting. Craiglist/Ebay searches like "1969 Chevy Camaro and 1970 Mercury Cougar, and many others come to mind. But after thousands of searches and a few months I stumbled up this little green beauty. I had to ask my dad what in the world it was because at age 18 I had never heard of AMC before. Definitely had never seen one on the road. Once explained to me and it being in my price range: Asking price was 2500$. I decided that this could be the one. I met the second owner of the vehicle one afternoon at a storage place and he was leaving to go overseas and needed the extra cash. Said it runs, very minimal rust, comes with a brand new Edlebrock 650 and performance intake. The car ran(not very well, it looked like it was spitting fuel out the carb). Other than the Vinyl top I really fell in love with this car though. I offered him 2,000$ and he took it! From then on I have worked on and off on it trying to get it running again while living my life as well. 

Now that I am back from school and have started my own company (yes, in the transmission business) I have instant access to work on my car again! I've gotten a lot done in the past few months but am starting to get to the interior and body work. Next time I will change the order of things but I've gone this far and it is what it is. I really appreciate all the advice and help along the way since I have never done this before and its been many years for my dad. I'm fortunate to have him flipping the bill for most of the stuff since that was the agreement back when I was 18 :) Man I bet he wishes he could take that one back haha. 

Anyway, i'll post a few pictures that show my progress and look out for some questions in the other sections coming soon! Thanks in advance for the support and help along the way!

-Scott

P.S. I kept motor and trans original but with upgrades. IE. Cam, valve job, intake, carb, and upgraded the trans (obviously :). The rear end was rebuilt as well with a higher ration but I honestly let my dad handle the numbers game. I think it went from a 2.8ish to a 3.5ish??? not sure lol. I know that I dont have posi and that's something I may want to do later. 
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:47pm
The Beginning: 

Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:51pm
Those seat cover tho!

Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:53pm
The luggage rack had to go :( You can see biggest body damage on the car in this picture too on the rear valence. I think its called the valence lol. 

Edited by Dogyman2 - Aug/18/2016 at 4:56pm
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:58pm
Pressure washed the motor 

Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:02pm
Car had very low Mileage. Looks like only 68K. Not sure if that's possible but the car was in fantastic shape. Motor looked in great shape. Sent it off for a valve job and did a cam but I dont believe we went through the lower end. Not sure on my terminology here. Dad did most of this part with me just helping and trying to learn as we go. Last pic is my New Hooker Headers. 

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:05pm
I like the luggage rack!  Nicely optioned car too. AC, tilt steering, cloth seats, console auto, remote mirror. Plus more I am sure. Keep the updates (and pictures) coming!
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:08pm
Got the motor back and went with original engine color (I think). Thanks Scott! I'll keep em coming. I honestly didn't know much about the packages offered except for the bigger motor and the Big Bad packages and knew mine wasn't one of those.

Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:12pm
I love this picture - the motor looks awesome although nothing was really bolted tight yet in this pic. And you can see what I did to the original grill. Just need the little dart looking AMC emblem put back on. The tabs are a little messed up too but I'm working on getting them fixed. 

Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:17pm
We did it team! We hit enough posts to not use photobucket anymore lol. 

Well this is pretty cool actually. This is all orinial front end stuff minus bushings and 1 bolt. Literally everything else is original after some much needed sand blasting and powder coating it came out looking brand spanking new. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic