TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Javelin SST 343 Front End Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Javelin SST 343 Front End Issue
    Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 10:55am
So I have a wonky looking front end at the moment and I cant figure out what the heck I did wrong. 

Motor and Trans have recently been put back in and I thought the weight would flare out the front tires but it hasn't. I don't have the shocks in the front yet but I feel like something is wrong. Some people are telling me thats normal until full weight is back in and shocks are replaced but for now im confused. 

Car Specs:
- 69 Javelin SST 343
- Auto Trans BG
- Need to know anything else?

Tried adding my first photo (did it work?).. I tried searching for similar questions but cant find anyone else that's as dumb errrrr "New" to restoring Javelins as I. 

Please help thanks
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 1:14pm
It's all stock, just sand blasted and powder coated. 
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 1:25pm
I don't think I would make any decisions until full weight was back on but wore out trunnions will cause the spring to bow.   Have the trunnions been rebuilt?
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 2:22pm
If you tightened all the suspension pivots with the suspension unloaded, it will stay that way for awhile.

You probably just need to loosen the bolts at the pivots, with the suspension loaded, and it will settle down, then tighten.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 2:51pm
Agreed, worn trunnions can cause this, but also with the shocks out, you will get more suspension drop that will cause the geometry to change. Also tighten the upper control arm bushing bolts after you are back on the ground with full weight. Should settle in after front end alignment.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 3:18pm
So I confirmed with my Dad and we have rebuilt the trunnions. Sent them off after breaking them down and they were redone and then power coated to look like new again. We put them back together with no load on the vehicle. So it sounds like since I have the engine and trans back in I could either try loosening the bolts at the pivot and re tighten when weight is back on. 

Thanks for the advice guys!
Dogyman2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 4:28pm
So I loosened the bolts that you cant see in the picture that are actually on the engine compartment side and man they were tight. The ones that hold that U-shaped piece to the rest of the trunnion.  I loosened 1 half turn and lowered the car gently and BOOM! It looks much much much better now. 

Problem solved, thank you guys. That was bothering me for like 4 months now...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 6:16am
In your first photo you can see that the trunnion is in-line with the steering knuckle (upright). As noted the suspension is just fully unloaded and hanging down, causing the angle. When the upper trunnion bushing is worn through it will look like that with the wheel on the ground (and motor/trans installed). Glad you got it figured out!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic