TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX Tach - Driving me crazy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
musictoyz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX Tach - Driving me crazy
    Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:33pm

1969 AMC AMX 390 Tach - Auto - All Stock

Tach turns on mmm every 5th or 6th trip

I pulled the dash off, ran a new wiring harness around the window to test. Before I pulled all the wires out of the bay....no tach

the car runs....if I disconnect the old wires or the new wires...engine dies.

either set of wires...no tach...

Butttttt the tach does work ? just once every 3 months ?

IS there a ground I am missing  ?  

ALL GUAGES WORK BESIDES THIS
1969 BBG,BBO, BBB/ 1970 Machine - www.bigbadamx.com
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:40pm
would think it  is a ground issue

Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:50pm
Yes. Sounds like a ground issue. The '69 tach built into the cluster will allow one to drive the car even if the tach is burned out. The '68 Tach will not. Check your grounds for the cluster.
Mike
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 9:13pm
After checking the grounds, with the engine running, put your hand up and give the main instrument harness connector a wiggle and see if anything changes.
Don't have the rally cluster but mine did have a board pin loose in the cluster. Intermittent on off gas and temperature gauge from the same power supply. Had to take the board out and solder the pin to the board to ensure good electrical connection - did all of them since I was in there. 
musictoyz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 9:35pm
Trader....I am pretty sure the 69 run totally on its own 2 wire harness...you are correct that pin connector can give you a bunch of headache...

I took the cluster out...I took the tach out...and open it. 

Yes thats how tired I am of this....the tach has a mini transformer to knock the 12 v down ...there is 4 caps, 2 resistors and a magnetic thing that is connected to the dial..

looked around...

cleaned terminals...

hooked it...it works But it jumps all over...

So I think I am gonna call a tach guy tomorrow...see how much, if crazy $ may put in new caps etc
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:21am
Originally posted by musictoyz musictoyz wrote:

Trader....I am pretty sure the 69 run totally on its own 2 wire harness...you are correct that pin connector can give you a bunch of headache...

I took the cluster out...I took the tach out...and open it. 

Yes thats how tired I am of this....the tach has a mini transformer to knock the 12 v down ...there is 4 caps, 2 resistors and a magnetic thing that is connected to the dial..

looked around...

cleaned terminals...

hooked it...it works But it jumps all over...

So I think I am gonna call a tach guy tomorrow...see how much, if crazy $ may put in new caps etc

You are correct, the AMX tach does not use a ground. It's inline with the power feeding the ignition coil. I'd think if there was an intermittent connection you'd have a misfiring engine.

-Steve-
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:58am
Yes the tach has a separate connection - my mistake. Just finished a Ford that had an intermittent tach and put that together with the 69 Javelin temperature/gas gauge problem.
Too many vehicles with intermittent electrical faults in the last few months! Including the brain.

musictoyz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:43am
I know and they can drive this old brain crazy ! 
musictoyz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 11:43am

Welllllllll it seems I didn't even know the addition of Pertronixs II would create such havoc....

Anyone know of the conversion to the tach for Pertronixs...everyone wants $299 for this repair/convert

yikes !

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 3:27pm
Don't know what it takes when using PerTronix...
But when I used a UniLite and  an MSD Box, this is what it took to make stock tach work...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic