TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX Sill Plate Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX Sill Plate Install
    Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 8:22am
Happy Monday to all!
I have a question concerning sill plate installation.  I had the car painted so I was not the one who removed the sill plates.  So I am at a loss as to how the sill plates are attached to the body.  I know screws are involved (have them) but what holds the screws in place on the body?  What goes in the cavities?
Thanks in advance.
V/r Taco
Taco
n3wwl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3wwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:20am
No other parts required.  The screw holes are elongated and the correct screws simply screw right into the elongated holes in the body. I assume the holes are elongated to allow for a bit of side to side adjustment, but don't quote me on that.  I replaced both sill plates in my AMX recently. 

Edited by n3wwl - Oct/14/2019 at 9:23am

1969 BBB 390 4 speed
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:37am
The slots run front to back on the car. If you peel back the carpet a couple of inches, you should see them. As stated above, the screws will start themselves in the slots.
It would be best to use a few small picks (or even sharp nails) to get the alignment right with the sill plates. You never know if there is a minor adjustment required to get the fit perfect at the front and back.

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:41am
Thank you for your time.  I appreciate it.  Taco
Taco
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 5:00pm
Some folks get an Awl or other metal pointed object hot with a propane torch or whatever
and poke it through the carpet 1st to make a hole and "cauterize" the carpet fibers
before putting in the screws to prevent carpet fibers from wrapping around the screw.
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2019 at 9:16pm
If you have a slot/hole that is stripped out, I have used some JB weld to fill the slot and give the screw something to hold on to.
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 4:07pm
Thank you.
Taco
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Some folks get an Awl or other metal pointed object hot with a propane torch or whatever
and poke it through the carpet 1st to make a hole and "cauterize" the carpet fibers
before putting in the screws to prevent carpet fibers from wrapping around the screw.
Good to know this. Ive wondered how to make a hole with out pulling the fibers out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic