TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX Grille

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sngmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX Grille
    Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 3:14pm
Dumb question, How can I tell the difference between an NOS 1969 AMX grille and a reproduction?   I am going to look at one and the seller believes it's NOS but I'm skeptical.   Thanks in advance!
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 3:42pm
I believe the repops don't have the part number on them.
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:18pm
Do you have an original grille? Often it is VERY hard to tell reproduction from original, which doesn't mean that's good, it could still be a piece of crap as far as fit.

But looking where you aren't suppose to is the best thing, look how the back side is and how it's cut out and that sort of thing. But you would have to have an original to compare it. I don't know that grille at all, but if it has some sort of fasteners holding pieces of it together like bolts or rivets or spot welds, those are almost always a dead give away as they don't try to replicate that stuff, if it holds it together that's good enough. 

I have done this before with parts, not so much NOS but just looking at original parts next to reproductions and that is where you have to look with a keen eye, where no one cares like on the inside at mounting surfaces and fasteners. Typically no one cares about that, all they care about is how it looks on the car. Thus, no a lot of care goes into those area not seen when it's bolted on the car. 

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:56pm
There were three runs of NOS '68/9 Grilles. They were injection molded in a three cavity die weighing around 1500 lbs. #1 had the heavy glitter applied to the bottom lip of the grille. #2 was painted Silver on the bottom lip (NO glitter). #3 was all black.

The quality of the plastic grille appeares identical between all three types. There was NO casting flash, hollow or porous parts nor thin or weak areas or warpage in the part.

I haven't seen the repop parts so I can't tell you what to look for but I can tell you that the genuine AMC parts were spot-on, well made and fit perfectly.
Mike
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:56pm
I have one of the re-pop '70 AMX grilles.  You can see that some of the mounting tabs on the original had repairs made to them before the mold was made.  That's one thing I would look for.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 10:19pm
Smile I don't believe anyone has made a repo 68/9 grille, just the (3) runs mentioned by Mike above
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
sngmac View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sngmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 12:00pm
Ok, so I bought the grille. It has definitely never been on a car and it looks really close to my original.   I got it really cheap, so I think I’m ok either way. I couldn’t even find any available reproduction grilles and originals much worse than mine are crazy on ebay. He swears it has been in his father’s attic for 25-30 years.   He forgot it was there and just came across it looking for a part for his GTO.   As a bonus, he has a really nice hood that’s been under his bed for 25 years. It is mint no rust, dents or cracks on the front edge. Best part he lives less than a mile away....   Thank you for all the info and I’ll post a few pictures later.
Steve

Edited by sngmac - Dec/13/2017 at 12:04pm
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 5:09pm
The 68-9 AMX grille was reproduced for decades (not sure about now)- on the original tooling. There was a repro run about 20 yrs ago where the correct coarse metallic finish was applied so it was identical to an OE first run grille and better than a NOS" grille as what's been sold has been gen 2-3 for decades. I don't recall ever seeing a NOS first run grille but I'm sure they were around 30 yrs ago
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic