TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 2-Door Rambler Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 12:33pm
Thanks Matt!

Mitch,

I shortened my 8.8 axle and I obtained a 304 from a local guy. It's running well and I'll be fitting everything this winter. Getting everything mounted and positioned now will make putting a larger engine in easier, down the road. It's going up on the jackstands this Sunday. Rust spots are prepped for patch welding and springs and bushings are ready for install. I'll keep updating as I progress. Other projects are done and my complete attention is on the 1969.

That being said, I will still be building my new engine while I put this 304 in. I'm mocking my EFI on the 304 and getting everything fitted well, so my larger engine (401) will pop right in when it is done.

Got the 8.8 shortened, just have to paint and put the new brakes, gear cover and hardware on.

Shortened it a little too much, so I made a spacer.

Welded it up

I am also moving the leaf springs inward, so I made some mounts for the front. I hope I can get the rears made this weekend and get the 8.8 lined up and mounted.

Got them welded up

Not the best welder, but I think it will be plenty strong after I put in the reinforcements.

Edited by DrRambler69 - Nov/01/2016 at 10:04am
DrRambler69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2016 at 10:41am
I wish I had more time to post updates, but when I'm working on my car...I forget to take pictures.

Here is a recent update to my collection for the engine build. Mostly building mounts for the electronics and getting some suspension parts replaced/made. However, the straight 6 and 3-speed are on their way out. Got my EPAS from a 2009 Toyota Prius in the mail, with the standalone ECU; however, I have yet to take apart the 3-speed steering column to see how it is assembled and how fast that will progress.

Here is the ProFlo Injection system that is going on the 304 for mocking up.

Edited by DrRambler69 - Nov/15/2016 at 11:02am
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2016 at 10:58am
Looks great! Making progress always feels good. Interested in seeing your suspension mods when done.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2016 at 1:30pm
Contacted the man who originally sold me the transmission and he told me he found the shifter. For those who were on the other tread and stated "it's a Mr. Gasket," you are correct. The shifter linkage came from an individual on this forum who, very thankfully, brought it to me on his way through Indianapolis.

Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 6:11pm
Hey Curious to see what you do for the rear end i'm doing the same thing not sure how i'm gonna attack it i would like to see when your done or mocked up 
1966 Rampar American
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 10:37pm
Nice looking goodies.  Rear end looks good too.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2017 at 7:11am
So, I did a lot of research on wheels and tire fitment, but I didn't find much on my style American and 17s - so I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I went 17x7 in front and back (could have gone 17x8 with low profile tires, easily). The front got 205/45/17 and the rear got 215/45/17. I am not a fan of the small wheel with a giant tire, that's why I went this route. For those of you that are the same, here are some dimensions. The 215 could have EASILY fit up front too.

When I got the car lowered down, the car sat about 3" too high. I figured after the springs settled, they would look okay - not the case. The car sat about 2.5" too high after settling with the I6 springs and stock I6 in the car. I plan on dropping the 360 in with v8 springs, but haven't begun suspension work yet. Thus, I decided to mock up some lowering plates.

This is the diagram I went from, be sure to ignore the overall length because the image in incorrect in that regard.

I made them out of 1/2" steel and plan on welding in a safe-fail soon - maybe a U-bolt or something. I had to shave them down slightly for the caliper bracket to work this this setup (disc brakes are from a 1979 Concord).

Here is a front view on the car

Here is an image of the backside

Here is a comparison of what the lowered side looks like compared to the stock (ignore the fudged up tie rod end, no suspension work has even begun).

Here is a before and after of what the ride height looked like after going from 14s to 17s. I mean, for goodness sakes, my Ford Festiva has 14s on it. Don't mind the rust, the new doors are at the body shop as we speak (Thanks Typhooner).

BEFORE LOWERING PLATES

AFTER LOWERING PLATES (looks like it has 3 degrees negative camber, but that's a lighting illusion).

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 7:55am
Went ahead and pulled the 199 and the 3-speed. It has finally been warm enough to do some work.

Got some of the engine bay cleared out too. Just for others that may be interested, the 3-speed clutch linkages were able to be fitted to the 4-speed T10.

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 9:01am
Lookin' good Nicholas!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 6:40pm
Glad to see you're getting back at it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic