TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 2-Door Rambler Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 10:04am
Originally posted by mitchs66 mitchs66 wrote:

You will like the 8.8 rear end. I went with the Ranger axle instead of the Explorer, didn't want to hassle with narrowing it down.

There seems to be a lot of interest in relocating the leaf springs, would you all perfer I do a post in the suspension section?

Thank you. I couldn't find a Ranger one near me, I looked though. The cutting will give me some stuff to do in the evenings after work.

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for a write-up Tongue

Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

If you go with a '91 5.9L you get an AMC 360 V8 made by Chrysler. THEY thought it was good engine to keep it in production years after the acquisition. Throw a good aftermarket TBI on it if you want EFI and it'll be a better power plant than a Mopar 360.

Good point. I would love to run an AMC engine. However, I figured I'd just buy this Magnum 360 and utilize the parts I already have in storage from previous vehicles (Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500). I suppose it was a decision based on experience rather than personal preference. Appreciate the input though. If I find a decently priced AMC by the time I'm ready to pulll the 199 and make mounts for the v8, I may consider it. 360 Magnum engines sell FAST here in Indianapolis, so I could always change my mind. However, as it currently stands - this is my choice.
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2016 at 11:00pm
Sorry it took so long guys, but the post is up in the suspension section.  Hope it helps.
DrRambler69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 12:35pm
I wanted to give a shout out to Mitch for providing us all with a very well written write-up on relocating the leaf springs.

I am coming close to a close on my 8.8 rear end and I will upload pictures when done. It won't be going onto the car until this winter though. I have to finish my other project this summer - since the Rambler is actually able to drive.

UPDATE: There have been a couple of AMC 360s pop up around Indianapolis and I have been thinking about going that route if I can get a good one at a good price. The EFI setups as suggested by someone here are not as bad as I once thought and the jeep forums have all sorts of custom ideas for it.

I really want to keep the AMC thing going with this and believe it or not, it seems like it will be much more affordable.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 6:34pm
Glad to hear of the progress, Nicholas. Look forward to seeing your work after the winter. I found a 67 American parts car up north. Taking a road trip in June to haul it home. My Rambler is a little more pieced together than yours so I'm stoked, more parts!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 7:46pm
I might take a couple of your scraps though!

I am currently trying to obtain an AMC 360 and the AMC T10 (4 SPEED).
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 12:36pm
Hello,

I found a guy here in Indianapolis that was very fair with his pricing and was quite excited to see a younger guy in the AMC world, so he game me some okay deals for my build. I talked to him for quite some time, but still didn't get all of the information I needed. I got such a great deal on all of this, that I just got as much stuff as would fit in my Jeep.

Got this wide ratio T10, plan on putting it with a 360. I did have a question as to whether or not my clutch fork from my 3-speed would work with this transmission?

Gears look pretty good to me, he said it came off of a perfectly fine Javelin and they simply put an automatic in. The pitting that is seen on some of the gears wipes about 90 off and you see very minor pitting. I suppose I'd mostly be afraid of roller bearing pitting and noise - if anything. Please comment if you see something I do not.

I got this steel bell-housing with some major surface rust, plus he had a patch cut out to do some inspections.

I have a blast cabinet, but I wanted to get the surface rust off first. Stripping the paint and welding in some new steel where that portion was cut out.

I didn't recognize this power steering pump, but we let it go for VERY cheep because he wanted to clear stuff out. If I can make it work, I will. I think I need a mounting bracket though. I have manual steering now, but I'll probably want to run Power Steering with a V8.

This is the only bracket that it came with. He couldn't find the rest. How hard are the other brackets to find?

Rusty flywheel - but free. He said it came from a 360, but I'm not quite sure how much I trust it without a part number. Had to clean it off to search for one.

5 minutes with a wire brush and she looks good as new.

I got the patch welded in last night.

Edited by DrRambler69 - Jun/06/2016 at 5:01pm
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 9:16pm
nice car looking good
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 10:34am
Got around to converting the Rambler to disc brakes. They came from a 1979 Concord. Very affordable upgrade and I feel much safer already.

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 7:10pm
Looks great Nicholas.  That's a nice find on the disc setup!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 5:08pm
Just checking in, anything new going on with your car?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic