TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 Javelin front brake caliper options ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illinois 1968 Javeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Javelin front brake caliper options ?
    Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 1:03am
I purchased a 1968 Javelin that was a original 6 cylinder converted to front brake calipers . The converted calipers are wore out and can't find replacements ! I am looking for help guiding me in the right direction on what is the best conversion kit available and who sells them ? I can only afford fronts for now unless price is real reasonable ! The car currently has a 390 AMX motor in it and need some better stopping power . Does any one have some quality calipers that will fit it ? Advice would be great from member who has been in the same situation and will recommend to me the path to go down ! Any suggestions are welcome !!!!! THANK TO ALL MEMBERS THAT HELP OTHERS WHO NEED IT !
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 9:57am
If it is the standard two piston stock 68 calipers, you can  buy them new made by Cardone. Rockauto should have them and I believe that several of the AMC suppliers carry them too. Recent re-release, so your timing is good!

Chris
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 12:32pm
Original '68's would be 4 piston Bendix (I know that's what was meant!)

What you need to figure out is what calipers/discs are on the car. If you look at the edge of the rotor, is it solid? Or is it vented?
If it's solid, we know what you've got.
If it's vented, those would be newer brakes, and then we have about 4 options to sort out.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Illinois 1968 Javeli View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illinois 1968 Javeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 5:18pm
Thank you very much for the reply the rotors are vented ! Any help is very much appreciated !
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 5:43pm
Does it have v or N shaped clips where the guide pins go through to mount the caliper?

If so it may be 71 to 74 Kelsy Hayes units, and they are the most expensive to replace on the vented rotors. Calipers should be easier to obtain.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illinois 1968 Javeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 5:55pm
I have the vented rotors and brackets and the calipers on it were Bendix ! I purchased a pair of calipers from Advance auto and they were wrong ! The brake line hose fitting hole was too big and would interfere with mounting bolt ! The best way to describe calipers is they were like wedged in with a shim on the other end ! I hope you can understand what I am saying ! THANKS FOR ANY HELP !
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illinois 1968 Javeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 6:26pm
The brake caliper cores were already sent to be rebuilt by Advance Auto so don't have cores ! The old bracket for caliper has a groove on one end that a holder that a tension bar slides into ! The other end has wrap over cover that fits on the bracket and serves as a shim to tighten up mounting to caliper ! This is a crude way to describe the caliper and bracket ! Hope someone will recognize my description ! THANKS AGAIN !
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 6:30pm
Oh boy, you have problems!
Remember never to turn in cores until you know the new ones are right and are working!

Can you take a picture of the brackets and the old pads and email or text them to me?

paul.mittermaier@gmail.com
four one four, 708.1001
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illinois 1968 Javeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 7:32pm
Will send pictures of brackets brake pads and assembly hardware to your email address THANKS !
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 7:43am
If you have Bendix calipers and the replacements don't fit, I bet you have the "Big Bendix" brakes. The original calipers would have had 3.1" pistons and the rotors would be over 1" thick... about 1-1/8" IIRC. The newer vented rotor bendix brakes have 2.6" piston calipers and the rotors are just under 1" thick. The rotors are the key -- if you can measure the thickness of the vented part that will determine what you have. AMC vendors (APD, Galvin's, or Kennedy) should have the parts you need, but will be a bit pricey. If you have the Big Bendix brakes you would have to change the spindles to switch to something like the Scarebird setup because the Big Bendix use a larger bearing than any other AMC.  Wilwood and Aerospace Components setups use the standard size spindle also. Only 75-78 cars used the big bearing spindle, everything else used the same smaller bearings, drum or disc. You can use any spindle, but the mounting bosses are different thicknesses. Space you or machine down to the correct thickness to center the caliper on the rotor.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic