TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX resistor wire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX resistor wire
    Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 7:32pm
I need to bypass the ignition resistor wire in my '68 AMX. My understanding is that it is spliced in line with the yellow wire that connects to the starter solenoid. My question is: How far from the yellow solenoid wire connection is the resistor wire? Thanks!
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 9:28am
Actually a blue wire from the starter solenoid joins with the yellow wire about two feet from the starter solenoid. These both connect to the pink resistor wire that runs to the ignition switch. You will need to peel back the harness cover to find it. The terminal on the starter solenoid that connects the blue wire also has a green wire with tracer that goes to the neutral start switch.
DWR
1968 AMX

rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 9:42am
This should be in the electrical section, but you can test the ignition primary resistance wire. Disconnect the yellow wire from the coil and connect one test lead to it from an ohmmeter. Disconnect the harness from the voltage regulator and connect a test lead to the yellow wire on the harness. Resistance should read 1.35 ohms. The pink resistance wire also connects to the yellow wire going to the voltage regulator in a different location.
DWR
1968 AMX

Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 2:01pm
Still not clear about where I need to look. Is the pink resistance wire physically between the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator or is it between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch? I'm assuming from your reply that it is located about 2 feet from the starter solenoid terminal in whichever direction I need to go. Sorry if I'm a bit dense about this.
jlswaggers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlswaggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 3:30pm
resistor wire is between ignition and solenoid.  why do you need to get rid of it
68 rebel sst
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 3:54pm
I'm going to install an HEI distributor that needs 12V to operate correctly. My thought is that if I remove the pink resistance wire I can run 12V to the new coil and still retain use of my tachometer. Is my reasoning correct?
jlswaggers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlswaggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 4:25pm
are you still using oem altenator?
68 rebel sst
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 4:49pm
Yes, a Motorola alternator. A later unit with the internal diode trio, I think.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 6:43pm
On my 1970 Javelin, the resistor wire is about 5 feet long and splices into the yellow wire(s) between the wiper motor and the brake master cylinder inside of the main harness running along the cowl/firewall.

When I installed a MSD dizzy, i had issues until I removed the wire and spliced in regular wire. I am not considering going back to points, therefore, I did mind removing the resistor wire.

Once I finished, I wired the Dizzy per MSD instructions and maintained use of everything else including a aftermarket tach.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2016 at 7:08pm
Excellent! Thanks very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic