TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX orig HVAC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX orig HVAC
    Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 7:04pm
Yesterday, installed rebuilt 390. Today, began ac compressor install. Stopped. This AMX has not been driven in 38 years. The AMX sat in a garage all that time (estate sale). How do you check if the compressor is operational and good to use? The compressor  pulley spins freely and the clutch takes minor effort to rotate...guess that means the piston-driven compressor has compression. But how much compression is enough? Should I install it all and take it to the ac shop and pay $125.00 to have the ac system evacuated and charged with refrigerant and keep my fingers crossed? The vendors want $225 plus shipping for a rebuilt compressor w/out clutch, not included. It make the job easier to have the radiator, grill, bumper off the car while installing the compressor brackets because they are tough to get to and install the bolts and nuts correctly. Found it tough to do with the front end off the car. Sure wish I had a crystal ball to see what the future has in store. Suggestions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 7:32pm
" The compressor  pulley spins freely and the clutch takes minor effort to rotate...guess that means the piston-driven compressor has compression."  One must energize clutch pulley to determine if the compressor moves freely.  Having done that, I'd take it to an A/C shop ad let them evacuate the system and recharge it.  I bet a new drier will be needed.
Mike
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 11:47pm
I would jettison that compressor and replace it with a Sanden type. Then it will use less power, not be prone to vibration and you won’t waste time and money on the old one. If you insist on originality, remember that the York has sump oil in it and it should be drained and replaced before trying to get it going.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

" The compressor  pulley spins freely and the clutch takes minor effort to rotate...guess that means the piston-driven compressor has compression."  One must energize clutch pulley to determine if the compressor moves freely.  Having done that, I'd take it to an A/C shop ad let them evacuate the system and recharge it.  I bet a new drier will be needed.

Been calling around and visiting a/c shops. Classic Auto Air said if the drier has been exposed to air the air cause the drier to deteriorate and bits and pieces of it will wreak havoc on the entire a/c system. The rep asked if the system held pressure when I disassembled it. Yes. It did. He was surprised. Explained the AMX was from an estate sale and has not been driven in 38 years and stored in a garage. The a/c system had been serviced one year before last driven according to the orig owner"s daily log.  He then suggested changing the crankcase oil and servicing the drier with maybe a check valve kit, and have the a/c system evacuated and charged with refrigerant and go from there.  Could get lucky.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic