TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Lower Ball Joint Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webstes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX Lower Ball Joint Removal
    Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 9:33pm
I have a  bad lower ball joint on my 68 AMX with the trunion type front suspension.  The AMC manual is not very prescriptive and I haven't been able to find information on the Web.  I have no experience with trunion  type suspensions.  Can I replace the ball joint without removing the front spring and trunion (with the spring and trunion in place)?  
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 10:15pm
In my 66 American TSM ( same suspension) it says to remove the spring to do any service on the lower control arm, it can't be much clearer than that.

It just wouldn't be safe even if you could think of some way to support the upper control arm,  once you took the lower ball joint loose that lower knuckle would go where?  
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 10:46pm
I've had the lower arms out without removing the springs, I think the upper arms will bottom out on the top of the chassis rail and keep everything in place.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 5:15am
Yes, you can remove the lower arm with out removing the trunion or spring....I have placed small blocks of hardwood (in cross grain so the edge of the opening doesn't fracture the wood) between the bottom of the arm and the opening of the spring tower.  As Western Red says above the arms will bottom on the chassis, but I like to keep the arms off the chassis, to make it easier to re-hook up the lower control arm when you are re-assembling.  Be safe! 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 10:11am
The last time I did a trunnion suspension lower ball joint I used the 2x4 wedged below the upper control arm, took the shock lower mount loose, and banged away with a pickle fork and hammer at the ball joint stud, till it popped loose from the knuckle, about 20 years ago.

But about 15 years ago I was working at a dealership when a mechanic was hit by someone else's suddenly freed suspension spring.  We're talking more than one surgery to reconstruct his jaw.

After that i'm a little reluctant to advise anyone to work on a coil suspension, with the spring still in compression. 
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 4:15pm
Just a heads up. I have the same standing offer for ANY Forum member. Free loaner of a trunnion-type spring retainer tool to remove the spring from the trunnion. I've used it on several 68/69 Javelins and AMX's, other Forum members have used it with equal success. PM me with a mailing address, I'll send you the tool, you send it back when you're done. Flat rate USPS box is less than $15, your only cost. Let me know if I can help

Terry Sumter
Nashville, Indiana
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:44pm
Oh yeah/great advice there:

Think of the spring like something ready to explode if it's not locked in by the other suspension parts.

If that spring popped out and hit you on the skull you could die ~seriously~

...y'all might think this is funny but... ya' know what I do?

When I get the spring holders on, hooked in the spring cup 'ears'...

I put on a full face motorcycle helmet before I go any further!

~then~ lower the suspension and remove the spring ~very carefully~

...then I place the spring assembly as one unit somewhere remote so if it does let go, it'll be less harmfull to the surrounding area ...where I feel safe to resume working on the suspension again

It's not as safe as some other types but here's my 'poor man' spring holding tool:

-the bolt heads on this type, or 'the hooks' on the better type of spring holders,  fit into the spring cup ears by jacking up the opposite corner of the car

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 7:31pm
No way would I ever attempt a bushing or ball joint removal/replace with the spring installed. Really bad things will happened when the spring releases.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 12:47am
remove the spring. it is a PITA, and a serious inconvenience. but it's a predictable, straightforward PITA, its just work. i'm no a delicate flower, i'll do dumb expedient s**t occasionally but i wont mess with 800 lbs of hair-trigger skull-shattering force. not worth it.

lol, my current rambler has air springs all around. taking springs out is a 5 minute job with an open-ended wrench. it's a huge relief actually. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

bwisneski View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwisneski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2019 at 8:35pm
Terry I wouuld liked to used your spring compressor please call me with details of payment ford shipping 
Thank you Brian. 814 5918603
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic