TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 american AM radio speaker mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 american AM radio speaker mounting
    Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 5:54pm
though my base-model american came with radio delete, the previous owner at some point installed a stereo or radio using techniques borrowed from the bend-the-metal-out-of-the-way-with-pliers school of metal work (not an accredited institution). then later put the delete panel back over the mess. there was a lot of damage, about 1/2" out around the bezel hole, and the shaft holes were double-drilled. it was a mess.

i bought a wrong-year, 1976 i think, AM/FM radio and made a decent looking trim piece out of 20 ga sheet steel that is not embarrassing, other than the gaudy shiny chromey plastic bezel:

i'll tweak and blend the paint in the next week. it's sticky from tape and adhesive residue here.

what's missing now is the whateveritis frame that mounts the oval speaker up under the instrument panel. there's nothing there now, no frame, studs/screw holes.

does anyone have a photo of what it's supposed to look like under there? i know it's an odd shape speaker, like a 4 x 7 oval, 8 ohms. i'll figure that part out. the attachment frame or whatever remains a mystery...

Edited by tomj - Nov/17/2019 at 5:58pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 8:24pm
never mind. i made up a phenolic sheet with two 2.5" drivers in series (for 8 ohms) and screwed it into place. not a place where originality matters to me.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 12:16pm
for what it's worth...

an alleged 1976 Hornet AM/FM doesn't quite fit in a 1968 American. the panel hole is all wrong, but it's depth also means it rubs on the defroster duct. that's not so bad, no harm done.

in this case the panel had been ruined with pliers, and even after hammer and dolly straightening what was left was ugly and oversized.

now all i need are some 1968 base-model (black) knobs.

the dangling cable us USB power.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 2:18pm
Do you think the old style AMC knobs will work with the later model radio? Clearly the current knobs on the radio are not AMC. There are lots of the older style (67 up) chrome radio knobs out there you could try. All the big body cars that had the vertical style radio used this style knob.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 5:52pm
How about using the plastic overlay to hid the damage? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic