TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMC 390 with 1973 heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldTimer51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMC 390 with 1973 heads
    Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 10:18pm
Hello Ya'll, I'm new here. Way back in the Olden Days(1990) I rebuilt a '68 390. it had the rectangular exhaust ports, and I wanted to use headers on it. I couldn't find any, so I bought a pair of '73, 360 heads, with individual rocker arm studs, off of a Jeep pickup. Deck height became an issue. So, I measured the angle that the intake would need to be. took the Edelbrock intake to the machine shop and had them shave it to match. Now the bolt holes don't match, so, I redrill the holes. Intake holes match up pretty good, so I went for it. I have no idea what the volume of the new heads is, it wanted to diesel on shutdown with a 650 Holley carb.so I assume its still pretty high compression ratio. Holley had just come out with their ProJection 2bbl fuel injection, So I sold my hunting rifle and bought it, Worked great. By the way, it went into a 1973 CJ-5, T-18 trans, D20 xfer case, Dana 30 front axle and Dana 44 rear axle, both with PowerLoc Limited Slips. The combination was awesome for its day.
    Ok, now for my actual question.....I've seen head gaskets of different thicknesses advertised for sale. What thickness would I need to get the heads back up so that I could buy a new intake to get everything to line up again? Is it actually possible? It has been sitting in the back yard for about ten years, So I'm going to tear it apart and see what gives and have the heads rebuilt. It's in my shop right now on a engine stand waiting for Income Tax Refund to get here. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Confused
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 5:24am
Machine the intake.
Thicker head gaskets will open the quench
and cut compression.
The combination of these things will turn your
motor into an under performing detonating dog.

About .035 off each gasket face should do it.

You will need to omit the rubber seals and use
a Permatex or similar gasket goop in it's place.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic