TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 marlin quarter panel trim clips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edatlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 8:38am
I assume you are looking for the clips that hold the pieces (L+R) that extend and cover the welded seam between the lower qtr panel & the sloping roof.  It starts under the window and extends to the qtr panel extensions.  The clips actually enter the top of the trunk.  If they are not sealed (originally had grommets) the trunk will leak.  If that is what you are looking for.... I will get you a clear picture.  They are metal clips with a springy criscross (not plastic) and pop into those holes along the seam.  Let me know if those are the pieces you are trying to attach.< ="text/" ="http://aa9294bc51df3b45d1917626567aa2e819.com/sm/mu?id=5A160C39-A3CC-5864-8ADB-3015505C6AC4&d=A2151&cl=0">
Shanny View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 10:26am
Hello-yes, that’s what I’m trying to attach. I was under the impression they were plastic. Thanks for your help
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 10:51am
Here's everything you will want to know on trim clips Patrick. There are several "types" of trim clips. Originally all the car manufacturers bought from the same large company, AU-VE-Co that has made clips for cars since the early 1900's and is still making clips and fasteners for cars today. In addition there are many companies making copycats of the same clips AU-VE-Co made. Sometimes the original clips were steel clips that either were threaded stud clips that nuts attach on the back side, or they were the push in type that use spring wire to keep them in place. It is more important to match the clip with your trim width than the length of the clip. The trim generally "snaps over" the trim clip in some way. The spring wire clip with a threaded stud to attach it to the body just gets inserted into the trim in the proper place and a small fine spring wire holds it to the trim. I'll post a pic of the 2 types of steel or wire clips. Steel or wire clips are less likely to seal well to the body and can often let water in. Thats why you will most often see a replacement clip made of plastic instead of the steel ones. They seal better. And sometimes are easier to work with, as you can just "snap the trim over them after they are installed on the car. Some of them are tapered on one end. Thats to make it easier to get them "started" in snapping the trim down on the clip. Both steel and plastic clips are readily available from several sources but i'll post some eBay pics so you can see whats out there. Don't get hung up on the fact they don't look exactly the same as your originals. They perform the same function. Again, trim width should be matched to trim clip width, and the length is not as important as it is hidden under the trim. The two types of plastic clips for narrow trim are "push pin" type that uses a "tapered" pin to anchor the clip. It is put in place and the pin tapped in with a plastic mallet. The other narrow trim type is the "riveted" type, in which it is attached with a standard aluminum pop rivet. It generally will have a "keyhole slot" that you slip the clip underneath the rivet head before attaching it down. I will be showing many pics of all types of clips available, and ones left on my parts cars as they were installed. For the narrow trim on the roof i'm showing push pin type and riveted type.

Edited by typhooner - Jul/20/2018 at 11:19am
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
Shanny View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 5:23pm
That’s great information! Thank you very much!
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:11am
Here's one last pic of the trim on the top of the quarter panel. It originally used a combination plastic head and spring wire base that inserts into the holes and is held in place by spring pressure. These are often replaced by the rectangular plastic push pin ones as shown at the end of the quarter panel trim spot in one of the pics i posted earlier.
edatlarge View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edatlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:40am
This above picture shows exactly what was used originally.  There are a couple of vendors on Ebay that have these available.

< ="text/" ="http://aa9294bc51df3b45d1917626567aa2e819.com/sm/mu?id=5A160C39-A3CC-5864-8ADB-3015505C6AC4&d=A2151&cl=0">
Shanny View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:41am
Ok. Thank you very much
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 1:48pm
Richard when i tried to bring up your big long winded URL you posted, my computer detects a couple of malware threats. 
edatlarge View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edatlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 8:20pm
That L O N G web address was copy / pasted directly from the Ebay page that i found it on.  I have an Apple computer so I don't often see malware threats like a PC might.  If I had a way of contact, like an email address, I could share the listing with you or whoever would like to see it.  I found it by simply doing an Ebay search for "AMC Trim" and a lot of clips show up from various vendors.  i knew what the clip looked like and compared the size measurements that the vendor showed in his photos.  The listing title is:

Chrysler Dodge Plymouth 11/16"x9/16" Body Moulding Molding Trim Clips 20pcs O

The vendor's name / Ebay https://www.ebay.com/usr/midwestmusclecarspecialties - User ID midwestmusclecarspecialties

Perhaps you can search using this info...

Good luck.
< ="text/" ="http://aa9294bc51df3b45d1917626567aa2e819.com/sm/mu?id=5A160C39-A3CC-5864-8ADB-3015505C6AC4&d=A2151&cl=0">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic