TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 american 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 american 343
    Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 3:57pm

This car was purchased in 1970 by my uncle. He bought it from a gentleman that ordered it from the factory for his daughter going to college. He ordered this car as a 1967 AMC Rambler American 220 Trim with 343 v8 and T-10 trans. The car was originally frost white with blue interior.

In 1970 my uncle did some work to the car (carb, headers, traction bars) and began to drag race it in Albuquerque NM. In 1971 He won a state championship in the car. I believe he was running B/Stock. Fast forward a few years, He traded the car to my father for a 1969 chevelle. My dad owned the car for several years and took my mom on their honeymoon to durango in it. In 1983 my father sold the car to a family friend who kept it until 1999 when my father purchased the car back.

I was 13 when my father bought it back and started driving it. I learned how to drive in it and soon enough would have my license. He sold me the Rambler as my first car. Six monthes after I got my license I managed to grenade a piston. I was still very young and had limited income. After tearing the engine apart and discovering the damage I sold the car to a friend. The guy I sold it to put the engine back together 10 years after I sold it to him. He drove the car very little and then parked it again.

A few weeks ago I found out the car was going up for sale. Considering all of my family history with the car I couldn't pass up the opertunity to own it again. I paid more then I would have liked and it is in worse shape then I remember. However I am determined to bring it back to its old glory. The drivetrain is all pretty solid. The body is the rough part. When my father owned the car in the 80's it was T-boned on the passenger side and never repaired. When I was 14 I decided bondo was the golden ticket to fix it.Cry  Well needless to say it never got fixed correct and is pretty sad.
Over the next couple years I plan yto make it right so my two sons can enjoy this car and learn to drive in it just as I did.   Here are a couple pictures of it before I picked it up. I bought it without the wheels and tires. It now has a set of chrome reverse on the front and rocket five spokes on the rear. The interior had been completely gutted but I managed to buy a complete set of seats from Tomslik here on the forum!  
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 4:53pm
Nice ride, cool story, good luck with the build. Lots of good guys at this site that will be helpful with knowledge.
Brandon
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 5:13pm
Cool story and a nice find.  Glad to see another 67 343 car surface.  Good luck with the restoration.  The Fletcher brothers are forum members and in the Phoenix area.  They have numerous V8 Americans and are extremely knowledgeable.  Sure they wouldn't mind helping out any way they can.
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 5:16pm
I've seen them in a lot worse shape. Good luck and the kids will like the family stories.
401rumbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 5:21pm
Thanks guys for the kind words!  I'm sure i'll be asking a bunch of questions in no time!  This is the third american I have owned. I had a 1969 with a 401 and a T5 That I ended up parting out and selling the body to Dan. The other was a 1966 440 american with 6 cylinder. I sold it when I moved to Tucson.
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 7:48pm
My how the times have changed! This car was bought new, by a father for his daughter, going off to college, and it was a two door equipped with an engine and trans that hot rodders of the time would order. Fast forward nearly forty years and fathers are buying their daughters the most safest, economical, and optioned car (Sally has to have Bluetooth & Nav!).

Glad to see it is back in the family! Can't wait to see your progress.
txamx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 8:25pm
What a neat and RARE car! And how cool to have such a long history with it. So many of these 343 Americans appear to have been the first generation of American Motors dealership sponsored drag cars. Long before the SS/AMXs and the 68 390 Javelins, these 67 343s carried the AMC banner. There just couldn't have been that many 220s that were ordered as everyday street cars. I think I have only seen one other 220 343 4-speed.

How neat to see such an incredibly rare and significant AMC surface. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

John B
401rumbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401rumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 9:46pm
I just dug up the jacket that my uncle won in 1971 in this car. Here is a picture of it.
1967 Rambler 343 T-10
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 9:57pm
Now that's cool!
txamx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2015 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by mitchs66 mitchs66 wrote:

Now that's cool!

I'm with ya! Cool!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic