TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 232 trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 7:41am

This is the Engine and trans with some linkage part i have.
Would be awsome if i can use the Hurst Indy shifter kit
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 11:22am
It was originally a column shift car but I'm sure there are ways of adapting it. Check the jeep sites. I would pop the top 6 bolt cover and take a look at the condition of the gears. Remember first gear is not synchronized so you must be at a dead stop to shift into first.. Alot of drivers did not know this and trashed first gear. Some of the parts will be universal from any T86 and some of them will be AMC specific. Special gear ratios etc. 
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

It was originally a column shift car but I'm sure there are ways of adapting it. Check the jeep sites. I would pop the top 6 bolt cover and take a look at the condition of the gears. Remember first gear is not synchronized so you must be at a dead stop to shift into first.. Alot of drivers did not know this and trashed first gear. Some of the parts will be universal from any T86 and some of them will be AMC specific. Special gear ratios etc. 

I "know" the PO of this Engine/trans and know everything is fine and working
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 4:31pm
You can use the torque-tube transmission. The seal is the same as the open driveshaft models. You will need a slip yoke, as the torque-tube shaft slip-yoke doesn't move in and out very far, not enough travel for an open driveshaft suspension. You will have that big square flange on the rear, but it won't hurt a thing. You could also change the output shaft from another trans... just make sure it's about the same length. Or cut the flange off if it bothers you. It's under the car, so most won't notice it. Think of it as a debris shield for the u-joint...
Frank Swygert
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 12:40pm
Found a 3 spped floor shift for a borg warner T96, how diffrent are a T96 to a T86?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 6:36am
The T86 is a good bit larger, but three speed floor shifts are pretty universal. The only difference between trans models are the brackets and length/shape of the shift rods. Easy enough to modify both, but you might need longer rods. Unless it's a shifter that replaces the top cover... then it only fits that model trans.
Frank Swygert
CDNragtop View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:45pm
This is an interesting thread!

Just curious guys. Can you put a T10 4-speed on the back of an early 232 from 66-67 like this one? If so, would you use the same bell housing or need something else?

Thanks,
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 5:34pm
There was supposedly a T-10 bell housing used in Mexico (by VAM) behind the early six, but finding a bell today would be difficult at best. Should be the same pattern as a T-89 three speed, but those weren't used behind the six either, just some of the 327 V-8s. Since the AMC six cylinder bell is ~6.5" deep and the V-8 ~8" deep you could make an adapter, but would have to be centered on the large hole -- adapter would need a lip to fit inside the hole in the bell then have a recess in the back for the bearing retainer of the trans. Nothing a good machinist with a few hours on hand couldn't whip up...
Frank Swygert
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 6:12pm
The T86 and T96 both use a specific bell housing. The T86 has a longer input shaft and a different bolt pattern than the T96. If you wanted to use the T96 bell housing with the T86 you would need to make an adapter between the transmission and the bellhousing. The T86 is longer and wider overall than the T96 is as well. The T86 is a stronger transmission than the T96. Most people find that the bronze synchronizers in the T96 are too small and cause gear clashing and excessive wear.

-Tom
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 5:41am
The synchros in the T-96 are the first thing to go if you abuse it much, but it's the three little pop-up "dog clutches" that are the first thing to break, not the bronze rings. They will take quite a bit of abuse -- I ran one behind a 4.6L stroker until I got a stronger trans. Not advisable, but it lasted 18 months. The little "dogs" tucked tail and ran after about 150 miles though, even driving it easy!  One of the bronze rings broke about a year later and jammed it in gear, had ot take the trans out, remove input and broken ring in a friends yard while on a trip. Lucky it was to visit a friend!

My first T-96 had two of the three gone, the third jammed it in 2nd gear (probably aggressive down-shifting, but may have just been that one of the others broke at the "right" time... I bought it that way). I pulled the trans, took to a friend of my dad's (I was 17 or 18 at the time) who ran a shop. He took a look inside, spun it, reached in with a pair of pliers and pulled that third "dog" out.  Told me it would clash some, but I'd get used to it. It did.. and I did!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic