TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 232 trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

A clutch pedal and linkage and floor shifter would do the job but some cutting of the floor tunnel involved. Otherwise get a complete column. If I had a T86 way back when instead of the T96 I probably would not have changed to automatic but am still happy because much prefer it to manual. The T96 and clutch were breaking down too often.

I think finding the right auto is the easiest way to go. The used one I put in 35+ years ago is still working good. Fatsco or Northwest transmission for parts.
and the T96 is very weak... I like a standard. But in some cases the automatic is stronger and better... I'm not saying this just because I prefer one transmission over another one. Pretty much all the later standards are weak compared to the automatics. If you look in the later pick ups, it's recommended you have an automatic....
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

A top-loaded side-shifting manual? Shocked GET THE LINKAGES FOR IT. It's time to visit some old yards. I think you'll have luck under the body of a late 60's Ford pickup or early 70's Rambler. If you can bolt this up, you're in business. Hop to it.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 9:37am
Yup, pulling power is rated higher with the automatics. 
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

A top-loaded side-shifting manual? Shocked GET THE LINKAGES FOR IT. It's time to visit some old yards. I think you'll have luck under the body of a late 60's Ford pickup or early 70's Rambler. If you can bolt this up, you're in business. Hop to it.
you don't find stuff like that in yards here in Norway
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 11:47am
You need to contact a yard puller by email. Row52 should have more than plenty willing to ship to you.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 2:40pm

Will this kit do the job?
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 2:55pm

Got a deal on this trans local.. nut it's for closed driveshaft

I can't use that. Want to use my 232 in my 74 Hornet

For what engine? For your 360? Which year is it?

The one in the picture is for an TorqueTube setup.
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 2:03am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Yup, pulling power is rated higher with the automatics. 
The 1972 Jeep Trailer Tow and Camper Truck Bulletin recommended the automatic for any heavy towing or hauling because it "offers more torque multiplication to get loads moving from a stop". The torque converter times the first gear ratio on the automatic was roughly the same overall gear ratio as the first gear on the 4-speed manual, but it had the advantage of offering that torque from a dead stop where the manual would be frying its clutch to do the same. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 3:06am
I have one of those (a T86) Found it in a yard in idaho. Got it for $50.00. If you were in the states I'd buy the bell-housing from you but I think it'd cost too much to ship from norway. I am building a T96J to put in my rambler. I have compared the two transmissions the T96 is the same as the T86 just smaller parts. The T96J model has bigger synchros so I am hoping it will suffice since that seems to be the down fall of the standard T96.  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 4:04am
Think i maby will try to use it.. if i can get the Hurst indy kit for shifter and find a pedal set for it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic