TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 Strut Rod Bushing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 Strut Rod Bushing Question
    Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 4:02pm
I ordered new strut rod bushings for my 1966 Marlin from O'reilly Auto Parts. Part number is 15690. They are 1-piece bushings for 11/16" strut rods, which is what my car has.

They don't fit through the bracket on the frame. Their outside diameter is too large. Probably at least 1/8 inch larger than the hole in the bracket. I don't think you could push them in, even with a press. Once again stuck on jack stands for a week or more because the parts that the auto parts store said would fit don't.

So who has strut rod bushings that actually FIT?! Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts and Kennedy American both show bushings for this car.

Or are the bushings supposed to be significantly larger than the bracket?
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 4:52pm
I haven't had much success with one piece bushings. I replaced them on a 65 American many years ago and they split after a couple of weeks. These were genuine parts from the Rambler dealer back then. I remember they were a tight squeeze through the bracket, but tightening them up so the other side balloons out just doesn't seem right, even though that's the way the factory meant it to be and worked on thousands of cars. I found a suitable local Ford Falcon two piece set that just needed trimming a bit and they worked well for years.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 5:18pm
They will be bigger than the hole in the bracket, should still push through. Maybe a bit of soapy water or some rubber grease will help. Put the bush in the bracket first, then install the strut rod. Once you get the bushes started, try pulling them through, rather than pushing them. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I did get them from APD.

Edited by WesternRed - Feb/25/2017 at 5:21pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 2:30pm
I lubed them up with Tire Wet, which is about the slickest stuff you can apply to rubber and they still were not even close to going through. The bushings are hard rubber nearly 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the hole in the bracket. The bushings have a taper on them to help them go through, but the bracket is even smaller than the beginning of the taper. I don't even think a hydraulic press could push them through, it would just wad up and rip off chunks of rubber.

I'm going to order bushings from Galvin's and see if they're any better. If not, I'll have to shave some of the excess rubber off with a knife to get them through. Let's just hope the O'reilly bushings are some cheap imported knockoff reproduction.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 3:09pm
Boy, I hope that the ones I bought from NAPA for my SC/Rambler are going to fit.  The application guide says the Marlin and American are the same bushing.  I see that NAPA lists two piece bushings from Rare Parts but I couldn't tell how they would be installed and at the time I bought the one piece didn't see the need.  I have heard about problems with the Machine strut bushings and did get the two piece NAPA units for them.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=strut+bushing&isApplication=true&isInterchange=true&referer=herofitmentForm-newveh

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Boy, I hope that the ones I bought from NAPA for my SC/Rambler are going to fit.  The application guide says the Marlin and American are the same bushing.  I see that NAPA lists two piece bushings from Rare Parts but I couldn't tell how they would be installed and at the time I bought the one piece didn't see the need.  I have heard about problems with the Machine strut bushings and did get the two piece NAPA units for them.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=strut+bushing&isApplication=true&isInterchange=true&referer=herofitmentForm-newveh

"Rare Parts" is what these bushings are. Probably identical. Your car might have a bigger bracket in the frame though...
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 11:25pm
NOS rubber or old stock rubber is bad. It should not be all that hard. I'd get new 2-piece, if the hole is too small shim the for up with a piece of EMT tubing slit to fit over the rod. It's not a critical dimension. The two piece have the cupped washers facing the opposite direction.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 2:21am
While I do not have a vehicle with trunion suspension and can not comment on whether a bushing is universal in size when going from trunion to ball joints I have used the one piece bushings on front suspensions. The installed with out a problem. However if advertised as New Old Stock? They have failed quite quickly. In some cases before I got the car back on the ground.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Rare Parts" is what these bushings are. Probably identical. Your car might have a bigger bracket in the frame though...

FSJunkie, with the "NCP" prefix on the part number I would question if they are Rare Parts.  Usually the Rare Parts components sold by NAPA have a part number that begins with "RPC".  Nevertheless, the listing for the NAPA bushings calls out for a bushing OD of 1.58".  How big is the hole in your strut bracket?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCZ2749044
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2017 at 8:46am
There was a heavy duty one piece bushing made for Eagles. I wonder if that's what you have?

In any case, if you have the adjuster nut on both sides of the bushing I'd go to the two piece design. Same as used on later Hornet/Concord, etc. Much better!

If you don't have an adjusting nut on the front you're stuck with the one piece (which doesn't usually last long) or can go to a "half-n-half" urethane and rubber setup. If you cut the rubber two piece to fit correctly it loses some structural integrity and the strut rod will push through the bushing. Order one set of polyurethane strut rod bushings and one standard rubber. The poly is tough enough you can cut it down to fit the front without the rod pushing through. It will jar the car a bit harder when you hit something like a pot hole, but on good roads you won't notice. Get a single rubber set and use rubber on the back side. If you use poly on both sides the harder bushings will slow down and even limit suspension travel. Using a rubber half on the back side reduces that effect.

I ran mine like that for several years. Too many pot holes in Gulf Coast Mississippi (I was stationed at Gulfport)!! I got a set of Concord strut rods, cut mine and the Conocrd in half, and welded them together. Was a welding instructor for USAF at the time, took them in the shop, beveled, and welded back up! Love the adjustable strut rods with rubber bushings on both sides.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic