TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 Mustang T10 interchangeable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 Mustang T10 interchangeable?
    Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 5:19pm
All,

I have a guy who's selling a T10 with shifter out of a 1966 Mustang.  I've been doing research and am finding conflicting reports on various websites.  Some say it will bolt right up to the bell housing while some state that shafts are different lengths as well as bolt pattern is different.

I'm looking to collect all parts to eventually transition my '68 Javelin from a column shift auto to 4 speed on the floor.  Figured I would start with the biggest part first and work my way into getting everything needed.  Thanks in advance for any insight!
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 6:03pm
Since no one else has responded yet,

I've heard of people bolting up Ford transmissions using the shorter depth AMC 6 cylinder bellhousings.

Usually one of the Tremec Jeep offerings,
but I don't know if that means an earlier Ford T-10 will be the right length input or bolt pattern for that.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
814Kustoms View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 9:10pm
jpnjim - Thanks for the response.  I'm trying to get some information from the guy selling it so I can possibly post numbers/measurements to maybe compare to what others have in their AMCs.  Maybe somewhere down the line it may help someone else if they happen to run across one.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 6:47am
The Early Ford Version is far from an AMC T-10, The only thing directly common is Bearings, Synchro's and the Center Plate.  The input shaft is different length and so is the tail shaft and Housing,  The front case looks AMC but the bolt pattern is off from an AMC mounting pattern.  Front bearing retainer is different in size which will effect the throw out bearing.  That also doesn't account for speedometer cable adapter???.....Not sure but my brother just went through a 65 Ford Mustang T-10 and it had a pressed on speedometer gear, where the AMC is held in place with 2 snap rings and kept from spinning by a ball in the mainshaft.  AMC T-10's are not rare and good cores run around $500-800 depending on the ratio.  You best/cleanest conversion is to stick with a AMC T-10 and avoid tons of interface issues during the conversion.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 9:42am
401MATCOUPE - Thank you for all the info Thumbs Up This is just what I was needing to verify whether it was a good idea or not.  I had tried to find the end of the internet last night and came up with some similar results as you stated.  In addition to what you already said, the shifter for Ford seems to be mounted further back than AMC.  Also, the numbers stamped in the casing in early Ford were T-10H (probably more) and AMC T-10P-1B.  Feel free to correct me if my research is wrong.

Thanks again and I will let the seller know I won't be able to purchase the transmission.  Too bad cause it came with everything for $450obo and since I didn't need the bell housing or driveshaft I could have got it cheaper.

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by 814Kustoms 814Kustoms wrote:

Thanks again and I will let the seller know I won't be able to purchase the transmission.  Too bad cause it came with everything for $450obo and since I didn't need the bell housing or driveshaft I could have got it cheaper.

Like many on this Forum know, I am a stock guy.....if you are happy to go with a T-10, and no reason not to be the few dollars saved "trying" to make a Ford T-10 fit an AMC are not worth my time or headache.  If you stick with the T-10 it is an easy swap, I have done about a dozen or better for myself and customers.  It is just a excerise in parts gathering or finding a good parts car.  68-69 AMX and Javelin is near identical on everything except in Mid 69 model year they changed to the Hurst Competition Plus Shifter......don't get fooled with the currently available Hurst Comp Plus shifter, they are not the same....they will work but if you do some research on here, you will find it requires several modifications.  If you were going to a 5 or 6 speed manual and hydraulic throw out, there are some great threads on here, but be prepared for a lot of fab, trial and error and big money.

If you have any questions on changing to a stock form T-10 4 speed, just PM me and I can do my best to answer the questions.  If you currently have a stock motor, whatever CID, look for a known flywheel source, all AMC flywheels are CID matched, or find a good machine shop that can take the balance off your automatic flex plate and match balance the flywheel.

Hope this helps.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 11:32am
Ross, is correct on the swapping information except one thing that possibly can be done a bit cheaper if you stay away from brand new 5 speed transmissions especially.

I found a T5 from a 92 Mustang GT. I invested less than a $1000 in the trans, bell, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate and throw out bearing. I did the T5 rebuild myself. I didn't fabricate hardly anything other than adding a trans mount adapter plate to the Javelin trans cross-member to make the Mustang trans mount work. The T5 shifter ends up almost perfectly centered in the hole on top of the tunnel that the auto shifter was in. Granted, I got lucky on purchasing some of the parts at very reasonable prices. It is possible to do, and that 5th gear is really nice, but like Ross stated, not stock for a Javelin.

FYI, I got the T5 and rebuilt it for less than AMC T-10s sell for that need a rebuild. Remember there are tens of thousands of those World Class T5s out there.

I did a floor shift auto change to a manual, which is pretty close to what you are talking about. Maybe I got lucky there as well, I only paid $50 for the pedals and linkages/zbar. That was several years ago too. Some of these parts are beginning to be scarce and harder to find, but they are out there.
Good luck

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 4:34pm
401MATCOUPE/White70JavelinSST - Thanks for the T10/T5 info.  I really don't know which way I want to head with the manual trans.  5 speed would be great, but knowing a T10 (AMC version) will bolt in with all factory parts when I acquire them all could be in my best interest.

White70JavelinSST - I'll check out the forum and see about the swap and what it entails.  I've done 5 speed mods in older GMs and had to cut/raise the hump in order to fit.  Even though my Javelin isn't stock, I don't want to do any sort of body mods to the main body to make things fit.  

I figure starting out with acquiring the pedal setup and flywheel would be good until I do some more research.  This way no matter which way I lean i'll be able to use those.  Thanks again for the posts and for offering your help!

Oh and a little more info I currently have a 304 in my car with a 360 on the stand ready to be torn down and rebuilt.  I'll run the 304/Auto until the 360 is ready.  This will also give me time as well to gather all the parts needed for the swap.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 5:05pm
I'd do what white70javelin suggested, & go with a T5 5 speed. It is no more difficult to install a modern T5  than it would be to install a T10. You'll use all AMC parts to do the T5 swap, other than the transmission mount, & drive shaft yoke. You'll use a "short" AMC Jeep bellhousing, the same clutch linkage & flywheel you would use with the T10, a T10 driveshaft, T10 speedometer cable, T10 crossmember. You won't have to hack the tunnel to make the transmission fit. The cutting required to the tunnel to install a T5 would be much less than what needs cut to do a T10

I did this swap to my 70 390 powered Rebel, it was the best modification I have ever made to a car. I'll never fool with a 4 speed again. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 9:50pm
though i'm otherwise a very hardcore scrounger of junk parts and make-do and fabricator, i bought a custom-geared T5 from Modern Drivelines (Bruce Couture) including modified input shaft to fit my odd installation and yoke and shipping included for $1800-something. drop-dead perfect and no regrets. a baseline for you. the T5 is a wonderful transmission. you sure as heck won't mind having five perfectly-spaced gears. (there's a couple of different ratio sets depending on something-something and i chose the close ratio set).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic