TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 Marlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 Marlin
    Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 10:17am
I ran into this 1966 Marlin on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up.  I've been searching for one for well over a decade and a half in my price range and finally found one.  This Marlin needs a ton of work but for me it's a keeper!  About a year or so ago the previous owner had it sitting at a shop in which there were a lot of parts stolen and used to build another customer's 65 Marlin.  After this had happened interest was lost in the Marlin and as soon as I saw it back on Craigslist I knew I had to snatch it up.

This Marlin was kind of Frankensteined together when it was last being built a few owners ago.  As you can see by no wheels on the rear while sitting on the trailer it has a Chevy rear end so the torque tube setup is long gone.  It had a Ford 302 with an FMX trans mounted into it.  Some of the interior is missing, cracked windshield, no driver's seat, no carpet, headliner is falling apart, and a lot of the trim is gone.  Don't know as of yet exactly what way i'm going to go with this but at least I do know that it'll never see a crusher! Big smile
814Kustoms View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 10:22am
Here are some of the pictures I have so far.

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 10:33am
Other then the right rear wheel opening down into the lower quarter, the rest of the body appears to be in solid condition. What's she like in person?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Other then the right rear wheel opening down into the lower quarter, the rest of the body appears to be in solid condition. What's she like in person?

Well you are exactly right with the rust.  That is the only bad area the rear wheel opening on the passenger's side.  Other than that there are a few pinholes on the bottom of the trunk and probably about 20 dents all around the body in various sizes.  That stuff really doesn't bother me too much.  The upsetting thing is all the missing trim.  That is going to be a huge pain to get i'm sure and very expensive i'm sure unless I find a complete parts car that's rotted out.

If I get some time today i'll take/post more pictures.  I just towed it home Tuesday and haven't been able to really touch it as of yet.  
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 11:43am
What direction do you plan to go?  Resto Mod, stock?
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 11:54am
could be an interesting projct
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 11:55am
Originally posted by fast401 fast401 wrote:

What direction do you plan to go?  Resto Mod, stock?

This is going to be a Restomod for sure.  I've been doing some reading on rear end choices used to convert from the torque tube and may go with a Ranger rear end since i've heard it's the most narrow and closes to the Classic width.  Hopefully I can find one with disc brakes.  I just have to figure out what years would have them.  

Not sure of the engine/trans choice but it won't be stock.  I have a hard enough time finding parts for my 287s for my 64 Wagon so I want something that if I break down in the middle on nowhere Idaho any auto parts store will have what I need.  It won't be a chevy but very well may be Ford or Dodge.  
1966ambassador View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1966ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 3:11pm
Cool project! I love the Marlins, they are real cool cars. 

Since you don't want to go stock, I would go with Chrysler. They are the closest when it comes to crossover parts. Although, if it were me, I would go for an AMC engine. But, hey, your project. You do you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jordan
1966 Ambassador 990 Sedan w/ 4 barrel 327 5.3L
http://s31.photobucket.com/user/JordanPerry98/library/1966%20Ambassador?sort=3&page=1
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 3:44pm
Hate to see a car with a good, usable body, being used as a parts car.

I'm a GM guy (with my AMC soft spot, a big one) and would prefer to use a SBC or BBC. But, that's just me. I do think that using a Magnum 360 from a Dodge truck would be killer in it, though! I read a build article a couple years ago that Hotrod mag did (IIRC) using a 360 crate short block, to test the performance potential of the stock aluminum Magnum heads. It made around 310(is) horsepower with the stock cam and a performance intake, carb, headers and dist. Then, they swapped out the cam, I think valve springs, and intake, reused the same carb and I believe headers, and it turned a little more then 400hp on stock heads.    
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 4:27pm
I have a Dodge 360 in my Durango. It's a nice engine. We also have a couple of AMC 360s. If you are thinking Dodge 360, take a look at the AMC 360 - parts are really pretty easy to find for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic