TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1966 Marlin putting in 360 3rd gen amc need some a
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 Marlin putting in 360 3rd gen amc need some a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHOPSHOPINC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 4:45pm
I actually have an inline 6 currently with an automatic. I really want to keep the torque tube in place and I really want to keep it an automatic. If I could find a 327 that's not an arm and a leg that would be awesome. You wouldnt still have that 401 wouod you? I really appreciate yours and everyone's help.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 6:52am
What is your idea of "not a arm and a leg"? In other words, how much are you willing to pay for a 327 or a 287?
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 8:23am
Here's a pic of the underside of a '67 Marlin showing the trailing arm mounting on the unibody frame rails for the lower trailing arms. The upper trailing arms are bolted to bosses that are one each frame rail with 2 bolts as you can see in the pic, although the upper trailing arm crossmember has been removed. The frame rails in a '66 are nearly identical and the mounting brackets can be removed from the '67 and placed on the '66. The spring cups on a '67 reside in the same location on a '66 so you can use the spring mounts on the '67-later Intermediate car AMC 20 rear that has the trailing arm mounts and spring perches built into it.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 11:26am
The AT with the 6 is the all aluminum body version, while the 327 got the cast iron one. I would research if that tranny can stand up to the 327.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 12:26pm
I've got two iron trans for the taking.
One is a parts trans. The other should be good with a freshening up. Both came out of 65 990 327 Ambassadors and are setup for floorshifts.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

What is your idea of "not a arm and a leg"? In other words, how much are you willing to pay for a 327 or a 287?

Now THAT is the question. I have several engines in various states that seem to be unwanted by some. I have a fully rebuilt 287 ready to bolt in, a 327 rebuilt (not by me) that I could sell and runners of unknown origin ... but they run. What is one willing to pay.....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 6:59pm
Getting them to NC might be an issue too.  Murphy is about 120 miles north of Atlanta (GA), 92 miles east of Chattanooga (TN), 110-120 miles west of Asheville (NC) and Greenville (SC). Thanks so much for putting your city and state in your info Chopshop! Helps a lot...

Ya know, you can hop up that six and have a unique ride. Isky 256 Supercam, Offy DP intake, 390-500 cfm 4V, and a 4.0L head and factory (or Borla, etc.) header. Or go fancy and find a three side draft Weber intake.

The M-3x trans (probably a 36 or 37) won't stand up to a 287/327 for long, won't bolt up anyway. You could use an AMC Gen1 M-8 bell and bolt the M-3x to it, but not sure what torque converter you'd use. Again, it wouldn't hold up to much abuse, but would pass for easy cruising.  The hopped up six will be significantly more power than stock, but shouldn't overtax the aluminum trans, not if it's in real good condition.
Frank Swygert
CHOPSHOPINC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHOPSHOPINC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 8:25pm
I have a freight account with ups and fedex and ship and receive freight shipments almost daily. I'd be interested in a running 327 if someone wants to throw prices at me. I have a tranny issue right now. In park when I start the car it wants to go forward. Not 100% certain what is going on there.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2017 at 8:47am
Sounds like the adjustment of the linkage and maybe the neutral safety switch is off. 
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 7:54pm
What are you looking for in a 327---Running engine, rebuilt, rebuilt with cam, headers and aluminum 4 bbl intake. How much cash you got?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic