TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 AMC Rambler Disc Brake Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 AMC Rambler Disc Brake Replacement?
    Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 9:18am
Hey all,

I have disc brakes on my '66 Rambler Rebel.  They're the originals and obviously need a rebuild or replace.

Now, to get rebuilt calipers I'm looking at $500 and that's before pads and turning the rotor.  

I have read elsewhere that I can stay AMC and go with 79-82 or similar AMC car brake setups.  Apparently this is a good amount cheaper and easier to get parts, but with this I have some questions..

1.)  What car or cars are the best to use with this swap?
2.)  Is this a direct bolt-on replacement?
3.)  Is one car easier/cheaper to get parts for?

I would like to stay AMC original and similar to the 4 pistons, but the price right now is just outrageous for me.  I would much rather get it running and get it on the road and look to possibly get the 4 pistons rebuilt later.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 10:36am
Rockauto has 4 piston calipers on sale for $92.00, rotor are much cheaper then the later ones, stick with what you have....just my opinion.  I just paid over hundred for later rotor and 35 each for calipers
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Rockauto has 4 piston calipers on sale for $92.00, rotor are much cheaper then the later ones, stick with what you have....just my opinion.  I just paid over hundred for later rotor and 35 each for calipers

Do you know if those are rebuilt and do you have a part number?  All I'm seeing is reman's for about $250 a piece.  

No point if I'm just going to have to get them honed and sleeved down the line?  Also, what about pads?

Edited by trewyn15 - Oct/20/2014 at 10:48am
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 10:50am
The Cardone rebuilt calipers that Rock Auto is selling for $92 plus shipping are not sleeved. They do have a 2 year warranty, for whatever that is worth.
I ordered one the other day for a spare. I have not installed it. It looks to me like a new/newer casting, so I'm wondering if somebody has created a 'new' replacement for these? American Parts Depot is selling a "new" replacement with no core charge for $160/each. It may be that what they are selling and what Cardone is marketing are related?? I'm not sure.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 10:54am
Mitch,
  Several options available. I've heard American Parts Depot (americanpartsdepot.com) has affordable replacement new calipers available, check with Doug or Robin. I've used complete single piston setups from a late model Javelin and a 78 Hornet wagon to replace a drum setup on a 68 AMX and to replace the 4 piston brakes on my Go-Pac 68 AMX. The key is to find a complete brake system, everything from the backing plates, spindles, calipers, rotors and bolts from a donor car. There are minor variation in backspacing on some conversions, that's why you need the complete set up. There are several different lengths of spindles, resulting in different spacing of rotors and calipers. In other words, a spindle from a Concord and a rotor from a Matador and calipers from something else may not work well together. Put an ad in the Wanted section here or keep searching local junkyards. Not long ago someone here had a complete brake set up for sale. Be patient, you'll find something. Good luck.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 11:29am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

The Cardone rebuilt calipers that Rock Auto is selling for $92 plus shipping are not sleeved. They do have a 2 year warranty, for whatever that is worth.
I ordered one the other day for a spare. I have not installed it. It looks to me like a new/newer casting, so I'm wondering if somebody has created a 'new' replacement for these? American Parts Depot is selling a "new" replacement with no core charge for $160/each. It may be that what they are selling and what Cardone is marketing are related?? I'm not sure.

Thanks for the information!

Do you know the part number for the Rock Auto calipers?  I can't seem to find them, at $92 I may just bite the bullet there.

Also, for pads, any idea where I can search for those?  I think I would be okay to get my current rotors shaved down a bit.

Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

Mitch,
  Several options available. I've heard American Parts Depot (americanpartsdepot.com) has affordable replacement new calipers available, check with Doug or Robin. I've used complete single piston setups from a late model Javelin and a 78 Hornet wagon to replace a drum setup on a 68 AMX and to replace the 4 piston brakes on my Go-Pac 68 AMX. The key is to find a complete brake system, everything from the backing plates, spindles, calipers, rotors and bolts from a donor car. There are minor variation in backspacing on some conversions, that's why you need the complete set up. There are several different lengths of spindles, resulting in different spacing of rotors and calipers. In other words, a spindle from a Concord and a rotor from a Matador and calipers from something else may not work well together. Put an ad in the Wanted section here or keep searching local junkyards. Not long ago someone here had a complete brake set up for sale. Be patient, you'll find something. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch!

I think I will try to stick with the originals if at all possibly, keeping stock is what I would like to do, but if there's a direct swap that will save me a good amount of money then i'd rather stick with that.

It's sounding like the best bet may be to just stick with stock at this point.

I wonder if there is a newer vehicle that has a direct replacement for the American, that is just updated?  Hmm, maybe someone else may know..

Thanks again guys!
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 11:38am
It's Cardone 184497. It appears that they still have them at that $92.79 price (plus core).

For pads, there's a set on Ebay for about $35; or you can use a new semi-metallic pad from Rock Auto that's listed for '66-68 Mopar products.  MIGHT need to grind off a little tab on the shoe pad....Those are like $20. (I will sell you a set of those I have, if you wish for my cost.)

Don't forget to use a Rock Auto 5% discount code....every bit helps!

Paul

Now that I noticed you're in Milwaukee, I can probably drop off those brake pads or you can come and see them and the Cardone caliper. I'm just north of you!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

It's Cardone 184497. It appears that they still have them at that $92.79 price (plus core).

For pads, there's a set on Ebay for about $35; or you can use a new semi-metallic pad from Rock Auto that's listed for '66-68 Mopar products.  MIGHT need to grind off a little tab on the shoe pad....Those are like $20. (I will sell you a set of those I have, if you wish for my cost.)

Don't forget to use a Rock Auto 5% discount code....every bit helps!

Paul

Now that I noticed you're in Milwaukee, I can probably drop off those brake pads or you can come and see them and the Cardone caliper. I'm just north of you!

Thanks for the info!

I sent you a PM as well.

Also, when I look in Rock Auto this is what I see for Applications, is this something to be concerned about since mines a '66?

2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 12:30pm
They didn't list the Classic but Marlins and Ambassadors use the same brakes as your car so the parts from those will fit.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

They didn't list the Classic but Marlins and Ambassadors use the same brakes as your car so the parts from those will fit.

Matt

Excellent, thanks!

I think I'll order those and some new pads and just do it right the first time around.

Will I need shims as well?
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic