TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Rambler w/287 need water pump help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Rambler w/287 need water pump help
    Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 2:21am
I've got a 1965 Rambler Classic with the 287 and the water pump is seized.  I removed the pump and discovered the metal pipe that is in the "water distribution" manifold that goes to the heater core is corroded and needs replacing.

Where is the best place to get a new pump and that pipe ?

Is that pipe supposed to be threaded into the manifold, or is it just pressed in ?

Thanks for any help.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 4:50am
The water pump can be rebuilt if you have a metal impellor type.
The water crossover should be able to be repaired or another one sourced if it is too far gone.

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 8:59am
The pipe is threaded.  If it is straight pipe non AC car easy hardware store replacement.  If AC it will need a bend to accommodate the compressor mounting.

The water pump is easily sourced thru the AMC vendors as Kennedy and Galvin’s.  I also like Kanter’s
they offer lifetime warranties and since they serve a lot of classics they have great customer service. www.kanter.com

Edited by gtoman_us - Nov/17/2019 at 9:04am
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Grinch365 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 12:40pm
OK.  Good to know its threaded in.  I was hoping that was the case.  I'll be taking it apart soon and replacing the pipe.  I'll call and order a pump tomorrow.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 1:33pm
It’s 1/2” NPT. 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2019 at 2:25am
There are a lot of different water pumps for these engines depending on the type of engine cooling fan and getting the right pump can be confusing and frustrating. For those reasons, you might want to have your current pump rebuilt rather than buying another rebuilt pump that may not be the one you need.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Grinch365 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinch365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2019 at 11:51pm
Got one from Galvin's.  It was a perfect replacement.  I was able to re-tap the heater pipe hole and replaced with a new pipe.

Not sure, but mine was only 3/8"npt.  Outside diameter of pipe is 1/2" though.

Anyway, one step closer to getting it running.  New plugs, points, wires, cap/rotor etc still on the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic