TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Marlin fuel issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Marlin fuel issues
    Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 8:02pm
Earlier this year my dad passed away. My mom asked me to get the vehicles that ran started/driven at least once this summer while she decides what to do with them.

My dad's '65 Marlin, 327/auto, recently restored with rebuilt engine, new fuel pump, new carb, etc... Drove it many times until last fall when he put it away for the winter. Last few weeks been trying to drive it. Little gas down the carb, fires right up and dies. Pour some more gas right after it started and will keep running as long as I dump gas down the carb. 

Gas tank was 1/4 full so I added 5 gallons of fresh gas.  Unhooked line at outlet of fuel pump and cranked it over. Gas allover the floor. Unhooked line at carb (2bbl Holley) and stuck the line in a pop can and cranked. Gas in pop can. Unscrewed brass(?) fitting on carb and it was clear. Move the throttle back and forth but don't see any gas squirting in the carb.

With my bad eyesight and the carburetor guy I know swamped, tearing into the carb is the last thing I want to do. What to try next?
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 8:33pm
Try whacking the carb a bunch with a rubber mallet. I am guessing the needle is stuck in the seat. Carb on my old Concord used to act up before I rebuilt it and I carried around a hammer in case the carb needed a whack or two.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 8:16pm
You can just bounce on front bumper to shake the car, loosen the needle from the seat. Maybe plugged also.
monasmarlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2017 at 8:34pm
Today I re-checked that I have fuel to the carb. Took out the brass fitting/screen and cleaned that. Sprayed carb cleaner in the inlet. Let it set for about an hour. Tapped lightly all over the top and side of carb with hammer. 

Same problem. Keeps running when I poor gas down the carb, dies when I stop.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 7:24am
try filling the carb up through the vent let it set then tap on the carb or blow in to the fuel line see if you hear air in the carb or take carb off shake up side down a little then try again sounds like the needle is stuck
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 10:11pm
Where is the vent? Got 3 cans of carb cleaner on sale so I have plenty.

Thought about blowing air though the fuel line inlet but wrecked a carb once doing this unless a Holley is different.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

Linglingjr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linglingjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 4:12am
Originally posted by monasmarlin monasmarlin wrote:

Where is the vent? Got 3 cans of carb cleaner on sale so I have plenty.

Thought about blowing air though the fuel line inlet but wrecked a carb once doing this unless a Holley is different.

That's the vent tube.  You shouldn't be afraid to open it up and give it an actual cleaning, check the float level etc... That'd be a lot more productive than spraying air into it only to have whatever debris remain in the bowl.

Is the carb pictured the one on your car?  
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 7:04am
Yes, that looks like the carb on the car. Thanks
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasmarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 2:38pm
Worked on it some more today.

Sprayed some carb cleaner down the vent and in the inlet. Tapped some more on the carb. Took the air hose and blew from the fuel pump inlet back to the tank. Not directly into the carb though.

A little progress, will start, run for about 10 seconds, dies. Starts right away, runs, dies. No need to dump some gas down the carb for it to start.

If I unscrew the 5 or 6 Phillips head screws on top, will the bowl just drop down or will I have springs and things fly out all over the place? As much as I don't want to it looks like I will have to take part of the carb apart.
1965 Marlin. 327/Auto.
Black/Silver.

1966 Marlin 327/Auto.
Samoa Gold/White

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 7:46pm
Where is the fuel filter? I would replace it. Also the rubber fuel hoses on the suction side become cracked and porous so the fuel pump ends up sucking in some air starving the carb.
Went through lots of issues trying to start up both my 68 Javelin and former Eagle when first getting them. With the Eagle it only started without gas down the carb after changing the filter, fuel pump, ALL rubber fuel hoses suction and pressure and return making sure any internal check valves remained and blowing air through the line into the tank. After all that it started normally and kept running. However all the gas down the carb killed a few spark plugs so all 6 got changed.

With the Javelin it was dead spark plugs that kept it from starting. They looked ok, gaps correct and only had maybe 1000 miles on them but they were 8 year old champions and were completely dead. After changing the plugs on one head it was enough for it to start. Then changed the other 4.

I know the one thing you want to avoid on your car is replacing the pump so hopefully it is not the pump.

Edit: One other thing.... gas cap. Had venting issues with a Concord. New gas cap did not solve it. Solution was to never tighten it, just sit it on the filler. I do this with every Hornet based car as a precaution. If I ever got gas at a full serve they would tighten the cap properly and I would make it a block or 2 away then stall and no start no matter what until the cap was loosened. The first time cost me a $100 tow bill, new carb, filter, fuel pump, gas cap and a rental car for 3 days intil I figured it out.

Edited by maximus7001 - Sep/04/2017 at 8:18pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic