TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 m35 disassembly help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 m35 disassembly help!
    Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 11:04pm
I started tearing into the tranny from my 65 classic wagon, and I can't figure out how to separate the front clutch pack from the drum. I've torn this down before using the manual and I don't remember having this problem. Others, in another thread about this intermittent problem, thought it might be the big o ring inside that's torn, so I'm wondering if there might just be a piece of it lodged inside.   Is there some sort of trick to separate these two parts?

Edited by calereeves - Mar/29/2015 at 2:56pm
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Cross Country
calereeves View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2015 at 8:12pm
I searched and searched and can't find anything special to get these suckers apart.... anybody?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2015 at 11:50pm
Nobody has a suggestion???  I'm dead in the water right now...  I'm afraid to pry it apart, in case I'm forgetting something.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 3:04am
http://theamcforum.com/forum/m35-flashomatic_topic9796_page1.html

I sort of took over this post after the OP discovered he had an M8 rather than an M35. Its been awhile now but I don't remember a problem getting those apart. Maybe try a little leverage? No snap ring visible?

Have you seen this blow up?

http://www.rockauto.com/info/ATP/BWT35.pdf
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 1:25pm
Sounds like the gears may be burred? I don't recall an issue when I took apart the one in my roommate's '68 Rebel. I put the M11 or 12 I had from a Postal Jeep in the car instead. Only took a new driveshaft to make it work.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 1:55pm
The drum that the band wraps around has a set of clutches in it.The other drum is splined into those clutches. They should just slid apart. Often if they are damaged they are close to welded together. I would pry with a screwdriver and try to separate then slightly, you should be able to get an angled pick in to release the snap ring that holds the clutches in the drum.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2015 at 11:27pm
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!    I tried using a lot more leverage on the two drums.  They'll move about 1/4", juuuuuuuusssst enough to let the prybars slip out, then spring back together.  I'm assuming the large o-ring in there is bound up in the splines, but can't figure out for the life of me how to put enough leverage on it to separate them!  I guess I'll try and find a press tomorrow that I can use, and separate them one way or another.

On that note... anybody have a M35 clutch hub and sun gear assembly, in case I break this one?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2015 at 11:34pm
I guess next I'll try and bend a crappy screwdriver to release the large snap ring on the second clutch pack.  
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2015 at 11:44pm
Hallelujuah!  At the expense of a harbor freight precision screwdriver, the snap ring was removed and the set came apart!  Several of the friction plates were so warped that they were stuck in the splines and had to be pried off.  Now that I've got them off, I can get to the task of that pesky piston spring removal so I can get to that O-ring.  If the O-ring is NOT torn, I'm going to be back at square one as for what it was that caused this failure...  here's to hoping I find an obviously-failed part somewhere.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 12:03am
Well the O-ring on the piston was fine.  The only thing I found in all the teardown was one of the rings on the sun gear shaft was broken.  Was that enough to fry the clutches and ruin the tranny?  Or was that a symptom of a failure somewhere else?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic