TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Classic Transmissoon Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2016 at 10:13am
Not everyone lived out on the puckerbrush, or had an overdrive or needed to show off.
You just drove what you had and got good at it or got good at repairing it.
Times change, now given enough money rumor has it they drive themselves.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2016 at 3:18pm
Puckerbrush  ??
Is that a town in Arizona ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

The 199 is probably the toughest, most bullet proof engine AMC ever made, same block, and 7 main bearings as the 232-258,  but with a lot more overlap on the crank journals, making for the strongest crankshaft of any of the sixes.  You almost can't  break a 199.

amen, brudder.

even though i'm in the middle of a new 195.6 OHV build, my "next" engine will be a 199. not 232, 199. for those very reasons. 150, 200 hp is plenty for me, and more fun since everything scales so nicely, AMCs are so light, and the constraint makes everything synergistic.

i need a block and rods, should anyone have any in the Los Angeles area for cheap. core quality is all i need... the last remaining Barney Navarro indy car part i have is a super sweet hand-selected 199 crank, misc parts, and an early head. 

like you, i know i could make/have made a 200K mile, 180hp, 3000 rpm all day long motor. clean, neat, easy, drop dead reliable and nice to look at and work on.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2016 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Puckerbrush  ??
Is that a town in Arizona ?

right down the road from East Overshoe, i hear.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

InlineEric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlineEric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2016 at 1:01am
I would love to keep and build my 199 as well if I could figure out a decent manual transmission. Wait a minute... If I get rid of the torque tube rearend, could I use a T5  or something similar behind a 199? No way I can start on that now, but possibly next year.

BTW, I absolutely love your Roadster!... I Have read through most of your site and the build section and have gleaned a lot of ideas and inspiration. I was actually looking at your wishbone rear suspension setup tonight and it looks like the way to go. Like you, I have no interest in drag racing... just want a peppy car that handles decently, is reliable, easy to repair with easy to obtain parts. I don't car about fancy paint jobs... I've really come to love the natural patina of old cars.

Thanks
Eric
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlineEric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2016 at 1:13am
I'm going to make the best of it and hopefully it will last a few years. I'm going to go look at a 63 wagon tomorrow( Yes, I already have 3 parts cars, I might have a problem, lol). If it looks decent then I'll drive the 65 as is for now while I tear into the wagon and build it the way I want it. I have a lot to learn, but I'll get there.

I decided a while back that I am only driving vehicles with a manual transmission. Now if you told me the T96 will for sure break driving through the mountains, I might have to rethink that temporarily, lol.

Thanks
Eric
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlineEric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2016 at 1:16am
It sounds lovely... I'll have to stop and check out the attractions on my next trip West.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2016 at 5:03am
Eric - The T-96 will be fine. It was the only trans AMC used for years with the small six -- 1956-65 at least. It won't take modern driving habits, but then most people don't really know how to drive a stick any more! Just remember not to drop to first for slowing down and it will hold up fine for normal driving.

Tom -- 232 block, 4.0L rods, or late model 258 rods. IIRC there are only two lengths of six rods -- the early 199 and 232. Taller deck 232 and 258 use the same rods -- 199 = late 232, early 232 = late 258, 199 = 4.0L. You could even use a 4.0L block but might need custom pistons with the slightly shorter stroke 199 crank, or just build a 243 (4.0L) with carb.... still a bit "revier" than the long stroke 258...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic