TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 327 alternator options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 327 alternator options
    Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 11:06am
Hi

Got my starter and fuel pump rebuilt, now on to the alternator.....my 287 has a Motorola 35 amp and the 327 I bought to rebuild (in DeSoto, MO now at A&K Machine shop) to my surprise had a Delco on it.  The alternator bracket has a tag screwed to it, not tried cleaning it up yet to see what is stamped on it.  Everything I've read makes me think the 327 should be a Motorola too, likely bigger than 35 amp as it had A/C.   Any thoughts?

Edited by a075923 - Nov/28/2018 at 11:11am
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 11:18am
You should be able to find a 55 amp Motorola for your Ambo. The Delco is one someone added to it. If it works that's fine!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
sixbangr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixbangr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 11:28am
where did you get the fuel pump rebuilt?
past owner of 19 Ramblers/AMC's

US NAVY '66-'70
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 11:49am
Arthur Gould Rebuilders       |       789 Wachusett St., Holden, MA 01520      |      508-210-0891
sixbangr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixbangr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 11:56am
thanks
past owner of 19 Ramblers/AMC's

US NAVY '66-'70
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 1:22am
Air conditioning cars received a 40 amp alternator over the standard 35 amp alternator.

The A/C blower motor draws the same amount of current as the heater blower motor and the A/C compressor clutch only draws 2 amps when it is engaged. In other words, A/C on max only uses 2 amps more than the heater on max. That is why the alternator on A/C cars I only 5 amps higher in rating. That is all you need.

A 55 amp alternator was optional as a heavy duty item.

All three alternators do not charge well at idle speeds because the 327 idles so slow. The headlights will dim at idle, especially if the blower motor is running too. It won't cause excessive discharging of the batter unless you sit there and idle for a very long time. Like...hours. It's different than we are used to on newer cars but it's nothing to be worried about. It's still charging at idle better than if it had a generator and cars ran fine with generators for many decades.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 10:45am
If you have an old Delco 10si on it now then this CS130 would fit in its place. I have one on my 64 Rambler that am very happy with. It charges better at low RPM's. 89 Pontiac Safaris, among some others, are good donors because the alternator comes with a V pulley rather than the serpentine type.

I've got nothing against the Motorola's except that some complain they can't get a regulator that will last and for the two the cost is higher than using a one piece unit. For originality stay away from the newer stuff. I don't think Delco 10si is original, however I did see one with the base factory cut down to 1" that was installed on a Jeep.

Edited by vinny - Nov/30/2018 at 10:54am
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 6:07pm
Re the regulator: Just sharing a bit of personal trauma.  I've got the 40 Amp (it's actually a little less than that) setup in a 67 Ambo with 343.  I too had a big problem with the regulator.  It turns out that the regulator ground is through the wiring harness and not via the case.  Yup, you can see that in the wiring diagram.  The reason it's worth mentioning is that the press-on terminal for the ground at the back of the alternator for the factory harness gets tired.  I'm not completely sure why but if the regulator is not grounded correctly for about a nanosecond (don't really know how long but darn short), then it fries.  I was checking all the connections, replacing regulators, but during actual driving there was the occasional vibration that seemed to caused the ground to open.  I cut off the end of the harness at the alternator, crimped on eye-type fittings, securely tightened them including a star lock washer and no further regulator problems. 

Of course, "your mileage may vary."

So with that fix, my rebuilt original Moto alternator was fine (so long as you understand how small it is and just accept that things look a little dimmer at night, A/C on, at an idle).

Good luck,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic