TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964-1979 head variations/variants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 8:08pm
I have a 1974 and 76 258s. The 74 has a Motorola, and the 76 has a Delco. They mount differently...but the 74 only has the alternator. The 76 has PS and AC. Which may account for some differences.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 8:29pm
i had a later head (82?) that had the alternator mounted in one of those complex aluminum castings that attached to the head. i did manage to install one of those onto a '70 232, but it involved milling the top ears off to make a flat to drill new holes.

i think there are a couple different variations on those mounting bosses on the sparkplug side.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 6:32am
I thin it was 74 that all the accessory mounts changed... might be 75 though. The timing cover changed most, with a lot of the holes made larger to support brackets. Still in the same places, so you could but a 75 or so timing cover on an early motor, but you'd have to use a lot of washers. The timing marks also changed location so you could see around the new accessory mountings, so that could be an issue. I always set timing by ear on an old car -- want the most advance you can run with the fuel you're using anyway, factory settings are just a ball park. Gas has changed a lot over the years...

Good catch on the bolt hole or two in the head as being different over the years, forgot about that! AC brackets usually bolted to the head. Those can be overcome though, especially if using a late head on an early engine. The other way around might be a little more difficult.
Frank Swygert
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 2:24pm
Thanks a lot everyone for your responses, that's a lot more information than I expected, which is highly appreciated.

Frank,

The VAM 252 six in stock form also had small valves, only the Go Pack version of it had large valves.

In stock form, the VAM 282 had two head types: small valves and rocker shaft from 1971 through 1972 (shared with the '69-'72 252) and the combination of large valves and bridged pedestal rockers from 1973 through 1986.

However, there is a third type of stock 282 head: the one with bridged pedestal rockers AND small valves. That one pertains to the 1973-1986 large-size VAM Jeeps with manual transmissions.

VAM Jeep engines had different specs than the car line units. As far as I know, the only Jeeps with the same engine specs as the VAM car line were the large-size 1980-1986 Wagoneers and Pick Up trucks with automatic transmissions. These were also the only Jeeps to incorporate VAM's aluminum two-barrel intake manifold.

Any purist VAM fan that would like to keep the small valve diameter in a 252 six but looking forward to getting-rid of the rocker shaft can use the 1973-1986 282 Jeep head.

Thanks again everyone.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic