TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 trans problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 trans problem
    Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 1:58pm
1964 rambler 440 with l6. will not go in reveres or park. When you try to put it in reverse or park its try to go in reveres an park at the same time. I dropped the pan everything i can see looks fine. Anyone every run in to this or know what the problem could be? The trans is the flash-o- matic
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 4:38pm
The first thing I would do is make sure the shift linkage is working properly with no slop or missing bushings.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
hill View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 4:54pm
I unhooked the linkage an shifted the trans by hand. It did the samething

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 7:58pm
Then you probably have a valve body problem. Could be as simple as a sticking valve, but then again the VB could be worn out. Passages and valves do wear. At this point I'd drop the pan and remove the valve body, then thoroughly clean it or take it to a trans shop and have them do it. It's not hard once it's out. I'd get a shop manual first though.
Frank Swygert
hill View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:54pm
That was my next move. I do have a
old hard back shop manual with that
trans in. I will post what I find
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 10:02pm
Do you mean that the shift lever goes all the way to park before it tries to go into reverse. That does seem strange. Does first gear work OK? I think it shares the servo with reverse. I took one apart where the servo 'hat' had actually flipped over sideways. Servo adjustment as I recall with the pan off is 1/4" spacer and tighten to 9 in. lbs., then tighten the lock nut. The other one outside upper right is 9 ft. lbs., loosen 3/4 turn and tighten lock nut. The valve body has lots of pieces in it so be prepared with a clean table to lay everything out and a diagram to guide you in getting it back together.   
hill View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 10:12am
1st 2nd 3rd an neutral all work fine. When you go to reverse park tries to engage as well. It will not go past reverse with the motor running. when you shut the motor off it will go in park  start it back up an it tries to go in reverse by its self. i will try the servos ( air check ) then pull the valve body.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 11:35am
The TSM has some diagnostic tips in the transmission section.. I think that problem is mentioned. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
hill View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

The TSM has some diagnostic tips in the transmission section.. I think that problem is mentioned. Joe
I looked in my manual it does not say any think about my prob.Mine is a real shop manual not one of the cheap paper back. Heck that might be why its not in there. lol LOL
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 10:18pm
Ok, I was mistaken about your particular problem being mentioned but it does mention locking up in reverse gear.   It sounds to me like you have a problem with the linkage adjustment.  Further, I think if you drop the pan you can actually see the parking pawl engage when you put it in park (of course the motor can't be running with the pan off).  I think there is a detent ball (or balls) in the shifting mechanism inside the tranny and you need to make sure it (or they) are in place and dropping into the pockets so that you can feel the shifter go into each gear position.  

So in short I would make sure the shift linkage is properly adjusted and if it is then drop the pan and inspect the operation of the shifting mechanism and parking pawl assembly.   Maybe do a band adjustment while your are at it.  Joe  

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic