TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 Rambler American engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 2:06am
I would really enjoy an old Rambler with a torquey 258 and a T-5. A close ratio gear set out of a car tranny would be ideal. Nutter bypass with a Weber (Redline?) carb, maybe a header and intake. Or the 4.0 head swap. Just thinking here...

Heck the 258 and T-5 in my CJ-8 would roast the 33" mud terrains on pavement in 1st and 2nd!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 7:07am
The good news is it's a 64. So you have a wide choice of engines -- any small block V-8 you might want, but don't forget modern V-6s and even fours if you just want a cruiser. As noted, a Jeep 2.5L (even the last MPFI model will fit the 64) will have as much power as the old 196. Not quite the low speed torque, but should still drive about the same as the 196... but a bit spunkier, especially with a T-5. I wouldn't use the carbed four, but the TBI or MPFI would be great -- and not to hard to swap in the electronics. Get the whole vehicle if possible, or at least access to it, then pull the wiring harness with everything attached, and lay under the hood the way it came out. Works the same with a 4.0L. I'd try to get a donor vehicle no matter what engine you put in, and get the trans with the engine to make things easier.

With a 4.0L or a 199/232/258 you will need to move the radiator forward a bit. That's done by having the brackets swapped left to right and removing the spacer between radiator and hood latch. A welding or radiator shop can do that -- the brackets are silver soldered to the tanks. For a V-8 or V-6 (and of course a four) you won't need to do that. The four or V-6 might need an electric fan on the radiator because the engine is a bit further back, but that's an easy install.

Mounting the engine is less fab work than you'd think! That you have the 196 is a plus there. You don't need to swap crossmembers, though that is a great way if you use a 199/232/258. As noted, 64-69 American and 70-83 Gremlin/Hornet/Concord/Spirit front crossmembers all interchange. But it's not necessary. I used 2"x3" sections of rectangular tubing about 5" long between 258 motor mounts and the 196 crossmember. I drilled and bolted the sections to the mounts on the motor, then lowered it in place, marked the holes where the 196 mounts bolted to the CM, then drilled and tapped for 3/8" fine thread bolts. Use fine thread as the tubing is only about 1/8" thick. I also used loc-tite and lock washers.. been in there 14 years and stayed put in one hard wreck (T-boned about 18 months after putting motor in my first 63 Classic -- used same motor and mounts in #2, 14 years in it).  Lower engine in place and check to make sure 2" is right -- you might need a bit more. You need at least 1/4" between the CM and oil pan. Any rear sump engine should mount in a similar fashion, not just the AMC six.

You will of course need to change to a transmission to match the engine. A bit of modifying to the trans CM will be needed to fit a mount, you'll have to see what you need for the trans you use. It's not hard to make a complete new CM if necessary.

You can have a driveshaft made to fit your original rear axle if you take the shaft off. Don't know that you want to do that because the pinion seal for the "big nut" axle is impossible to find. It's an AMC specific part, and hasn't been used since 1965. The AMC 15 is otherwise stronger than most here want to admit. It will hold up to a small block with street tires for a cruiser. I wouldn't go drag racing with it, but it would last a while even then... depends on how much power and how good your traction control is. The more with either the shorter time the axle would last. But for a cruiser? It would be fine and I wouldn't change it.

That said.. early Ranger axles are about the right width with no mods. That would be pre 93 axles. The 8.8" didn't come in until 1990, and was only used with 4.0L V-6 engines and in commercial chassis -- it's hard to find in pre 95 models. The 7.5" more commonly found in the early (all 83-92) Rangers is plenty strong even for a V-8 in a cruiser. It's about the same strength as an AMC 15. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to run a stock small V-8 in front of it just for driving around with street tires -- just wouldn't put on cheater slicks and take it to the drag strip. That said, a pre 93 Ranger would be an excellent engine/trans/axle donor. Everything you need in one package, and no narrowing the axle. A 2.3L or 2.5L four would be great, just a bit more power and a lot spunkier. The pre 93 Ranger axle is 56.5" wheel surface to wheel surface. In contrast, 93+ is 58.5", Explorer is 59.5".  You can find all the Ranger axle info you can stand at www.therangerstation.com -- tech section (and on engines and trannys).

Edited by farna - Oct/24/2017 at 7:11am
Frank Swygert
Kennedy9154 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 2:03pm
Tbanks farna. Thats a ton of info. Whatever we end up with will never see any kind of drag racing, so thats not a problem. I will look into it more and see whats available. Not ready to actually start the project yet, just trying to see what the options are.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 6:13am
The more thought you put into it ahead of time (planning!), the better. I bought a Jag IRS for mine and thought about how I wanted to install it for several days as I replaced seals and bearings. When I went to put it in it was a one day job because of that. My 4.0L engine swap went in in a weekend -- another weekend for the wiring and I was off. 
Frank Swygert
Kennedy9154 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 7:01am
Well, I figure it will take me a little longer than that, I only have a few hours a day to mess with it, and not a lot of help, plus, it will probably be done during a cleveland winter, in a mostly unheated garage. But if I find the right engine, I'll get it done.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 7:25am
just throwing this out and, no offence, it may be I little bizzare for what you want but.......how about a mazda rotary?

67 american 290/4speed
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

I would be tempted to go with the Jeep 2.45L and TBI if nothing else is around. People pull them from TJ Wranglers because they are low powered for huge tires. If I still had a Rambler I would consider rebuilding the one in my Comanche to swap in when I do the 4.0L swap.

This is a neat idea that i'd never considered before.  Keeps the car 'all amc', yet gives older, lightweight cars like Rambler Americans a new lease on life, with just enough performance bump to make them enjoyable.  Probably helps handling too if the motor sits back against the fire wall.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 10:05am
The Jeep 4 cyl sounds good, or I would even consider a 4 cyl from another brand. V-6 would also work. I think an AMC V-8 is a bit tight to put in that space, especially if you are not an experienced fabricator. You might also enjoy the extra space for a brake booster and P.S.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 5:08pm
A Mazda rotary in a Rambler has been done! A guy on hotrodders.com did it... he might be on here now. Was a 58 American with a twin rotor and five speed, forget which engine he used, I want to say a mid 90s model? The 64 isn't much heavier than the older 58-63 models -- under 100 lbs. more -- so it would work. Personally I'd find a pre 93 Ranger and use the whole drivetrain -- axle is the right width.
Frank Swygert
conan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 5:46pm
Will a Gremlin V8 crossmember bolt up to a 1965 Rambler American that originally had a 232 cu.in. I bought bulltear motor mounts before I knew they would not work.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic