TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 classic 287 fuel pump/wipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 classic 287 fuel pump/wipers
    Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 6:22pm
Hi!
I recently purchased a donor 1964 classic for the 287 v8 which has a bad fuel pump according to the previous owner. I haven't fired the engine yet but I take his word. The donor car (287) has vacuum wipers but the vacuum line connects from the wiper motor to the intake and not wiper motor to the fuel pump like my old 196. Does this mean I do not need to buy a vacuum wiper fuel pump for the 287 since it's not direct from the fuel pump to the wiper motor? Thank you!
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 7:20pm
The fuel pump provides consistant vacuum, where as the manifold will drop vacuum on acceration will slowor stop your wiper action. I would buy the dual fuel pump and replumb the vac line back to factory.

Kanter auto parts has the pump with lifetime warranty. You can check out the AMC vendors.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 12:23am
Doesn't matter if it's a 196 or a 287, the wipers hooked the same way.  Manifold to pump, pump to wipers.If your donor engine has a dual action fuel pump have it rebuilt.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 8:32pm
While I was having trouble with my factory type fuel pump I ran my wipers directly from intake manifold vacuum. It was marginal as we're many wipers from the mid 50s.

Since then, the factory style pump has been rebuilt and vacuum wiper performance is quite reasonable.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Gregory64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 10:22am
Thank you all for the information!
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 12:10pm
Would a small inline vacuum can help with the wipers?

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

Would a small inline vacuum can help with the wipers?

Maybe for a few seconds, but certainly not on a long hill.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 4:44pm
The vacuum pump on the fuel pump is not meant to run the wipers on its own. It is merely a booster pump to boost intake manifold vacuum to aid wiper performance. Manifold vacuum goes to the booster pump and then the booster pump sends vacuum to the wiper. The wipers may slow down while the engine is under load, but the booster pump should prevent them from stopping. Problems with vacuum wiper systems usually come from having the hoses not connected properly, a faulty booster pump, or a faulty vacuum motor. The seal on the flapper on the vacuum motor often dries up and shrinks. It can be taken apart and repaired or you can do the old farmer trick of squirting some ATF into it to swell the rubber seal.   
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 4:56am
Note also that at idle the vac booster pump really doesn't make any vacuum. If you hook a vac gauge to the manifold then the booster pump you'll find they are near identical, maybe even a little DROP from the booster (due to restrictions in the pump). It really only boost vacuum much at 1500+ rpm.... like when accelerating and there is little vacuum from the manifold. It will boost more at higher rpm.

If the wipers don't work well with a new pump and the hose connections are good (ends of hoses stretch and harden, don't fit as well over time...), then it's time for a rebuilt motor. 40-50 year old vacuum motors can't be expected to perform like new!! Getting a new/rebuilt fuel/booster pump and wiper motor are about the same as an electric conversion, but it works better. While not delay, they are variable speed, and original to the car. Like anything else, if one part of the system isn't up to snuff the whole thing doesn't work well.
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2018 at 3:48pm
With a correct fuel pump, and properly plumbed, your wipers will work great. Ignore the neigh sayers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic