TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 american wagon headliner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 american wagon headliner
    Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 9:41pm
my 64 wagon is missing the headliner,,,i dont see any holes for the headliner bows..how were these headliners attached?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 6:24am
No bows in a Rambler. The headliner was a composite material supported by metal moldings running the length of the car above the doors and windows. Your wagon had a two piece headliner with a front and rear seat ion and a divider strip. Did you get any of the moldings with the car?
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 8:40am
Pacerman is right. There were channel pieces on the sides that held the side edges of the headliner. Foam about a half inch thick was glued between the structural roof bows, and the headliner was glued to that foam. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 8:45am
the idiots i bought the car from ripped the headliner out of the car and tossed it...i'll check and see if the trim pieces are still there
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 11:53am
The 64 hardtops had bows and side channels. No idea on the waggys.

Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 1:58pm
Per the '64 American TSM: The headlining consists of a front and rear section.  The front section extends from the top of the windshield, to above the rear seat back.  It is retained along the side roof rails above the doors by "J" shaped mouldings.  The rear section extends from joint above the rear seat back to the tailgate opening, where it is retained along the rear by the finish moulding.  It is retained along the sides above the rear quarter windows by "J" mouldings.  A joint cover moulding painted to match the headlining, is retained by four spring steel clips, which are fastened to the roof support by spring tension.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 6:46pm
looks like all the trim pieces are still there
330inthemorning View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 330inthemorning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 11:17am
i was just googling headliner for my wagon, and this thread came up.  made me wonder if my trim is still there, when i realized i bought my car from the OP, LOL.

that said, it looks as though SMS has what i need.
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 7:23pm
we have the 69 rambler wagon i took some picture for you if i can get them to load 
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 7:30pm
i can't get pictures to load,  but there is a interior colored metal channel running front to rear on both sides.  that holds up the headliner.  it is kind of formed a bit then the divider strip is headliner color kind of a white color.  the from and back are held up with screw in place molding.  the head liner is textured with lots of about half inch squares that are embossed into the material that kind of feels like cardboard 

wish i could get the pictures to you but i hope this helps

Edited by fts1966 - May/20/2019 at 7:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic