TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 3 speed ID?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 3 speed ID?
    Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 2:52am
Internet says its a Willy's transmission. The numbers are not off the case, but off of what seems to be the returns from a clutch job done some time ago. It is a 3 speed on the tree. It is bound up in 1st. Linkage has been disconnected from the column. Clutch in...nope, it wont budge.
T96 G -10
w.g. div.
N1
Whats does it mean(the numbers) the sticky part I assume will require some parts...suggestions for where to get those parts? Yes, the kit set to the previous owner was from Gavins. Thanks. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 9:50am
It is a Borg Warner T96 three speed transmission. There are voluminous posts here on the forum about fixing and maintaining this unit. Some parts are available from Northwest Transmission parts and I suppose from other vintage sources and they also show up on EBay. First gear is not synchronized, requiring a nearly full stop before shifting to first. Downshifts in general are hard on that transmission, but it was a staple for low priced cars including Fords, Studebakers and Nash/AMC for many years.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
danarchy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 12:40pm
Thank you. I will certainly search those post. For me, Id rather ask a "stupid" question than not ask...otherwise it's "learn a bunch"...then realize its all wrong and  have to "forget a bunch." Only people I know who can do that are teenagers. I'd rather learn right info the first time. I had searched more "specifically" than I apparently needed to
Mac VP View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac VP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 5:36am
The T-96 was a fairly small and compact 3 speed that, as already stated, is only synchronized into 2nd and high gears. No synchro for 1st or reverse gears. Due to the normal interlock system, you cannot move the 1st/reverse shifter lever at all if the other lever has been shifted into 2nd or high gear. Assuming the other lever is in its middle detent position (which is neutral) you should then be able to shift the 1st/reverse lever into one or the other gears. Naturally, with the trans and driveshaft still in the car, you may have to move the wheels slightly to allow the gears to mesh. I am basing all of my information on the comment made that he has removed the shifter rods from the transmission shifter levers.

If it still will not shift into first or reverse gear, either the shifter detent mechanism is bad, or there is another mechanical issue within the transmission......in either case, the unit would have to be removed and torn down to find the problem.

To the best of my knowledge, Ford did not use the little T-96 trans. They did use its bigger brother, the T-86, which looks similar but was physically larger in size.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 8:50am
We had a fairly new 65 Mercury P/U with a 352 and 3 on the tree transmission that was quite loud. I replaced the front and rear bearings and it was good after that all the way to the end life of the truck. I wonder how hard it would be to fit one of those to a Rambler. It had synchros in 1st, 2cd and 3rd and was quite strong. Obviously with a torque tube car it would be a no go.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 10:13am
There are detents in the transmission at the shift shafts that prevent the 1st/rev shift shaft from moving until the 2nd /3rd shift shaft is in neutral.
If either shift shaft is not in neutral when you try to move the other the transmission will lock up.

The gearset inside the transmission is partly in 1st or reverse, and partly in 2nd or 3rd, at the same time.

What you need to do is get under the car and gently, or not so gently, try to move both shift shafts toward neutral.  The detent balls and the recess they fit into are worn.   That with a out of adjustment/worn shift linkage will allow this to happen .
It probably hasn't done any internal damage to the transmission.

My 64 with a T-96 would do this ever now and then,  always when I tried to make a fast shift from 1st to 2nd.   I have to get out and get under no matter where it happened,  I got pretty good at undoing the jamb quick,  with just a few taps on each shift arm until they were parallel.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Mac VP Mac VP wrote:

The T-96 was a fairly small and compact 3 speed that, as already stated, is only synchronized into 2nd and high gears. No synchro for 1st or reverse gears. Due to the normal interlock system, you cannot move the 1st/reverse shifter lever at all if the other lever has been shifted into 2nd or high gear. Assuming the other lever is in its middle detent position (which is neutral) you should then be able to shift the 1st/reverse lever into one or the other gears. Naturally, with the trans and driveshaft still in the car, you may have to move the wheels slightly to allow the gears to mesh. I am basing all of my information on the comment made that he has removed the shifter rods from the transmission shifter levers.

If it still will not shift into first or reverse gear, either the shifter detent mechanism is bad, or there is another mechanical issue within the transmission......in either case, the unit would have to be removed and torn down to find the problem.

To the best of my knowledge, Ford did not use the little T-96 trans. They did use its bigger brother, the T-86, which looks similar but was physically larger in size.
     Ford used the T-96 in the early Falcons.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic