TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1963 Rambler classic drive shaft splines cracked!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 Rambler classic drive shaft splines cracked!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aarong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 Rambler classic drive shaft splines cracked!
    Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 6:36pm
Well i finally got around to getting the rear end out from under my 1963 rambler classic. after pulling it out and removing the shaft i found that at the rear the shaft actually split and the splines were practically shattered. 

here is a link showing the shaft and how it broke LINK

My next question is what exactly is this shaft called? i have been on a few websites that still sell AMC parts but because im not sure if its actually called a "drive shaft" or not because this is a torque tube car.

i have found on several different websites what i think is a replacement shaft ranging from $90 to $260 but because they are all listed with different names im not actually sure what part is what.

And the car itself only has around 45K actual miles on it.

Edited by aarong - Oct/20/2014 at 9:21pm
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 6:35am
At some time someone must have been trying to do wheelies. Does the cover have a drain plug? If so it is probably an AMC 15 and I would call your broken piece a drive shaft or propeller shaft from an AMC 15 torque tube rear end. My TSM is not here at the moment so I don't know how they refer to it. Which end broke, the forward part or where it connects to the pinion?   
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:34am
In the '64 Classic/Ambo TSM I believe it's referred to as a propeller shaft.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
aarong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aarong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

At some time someone must have been trying to do wheelies. Does the cover have a drain plug? If so it is probably an AMC 15 and I would call your broken piece a drive shaft or propeller shaft from an AMC 15 torque tube rear end. My TSM is not here at the moment so I don't know how they refer to it. Which end broke, the forward part or where it connects to the pinion?   

Trying to do wheelies with a straight 6 engine? yeah right! once i got the thing running somewhat good there was definitely not enough power to even burn out.

as to what part broke it was at the rear where it goes into the coupler or whatever its called. the splines inside the adapter were completely fine. but the back half of the splines from the shaft broke off and crumbled under normal finger pressure.

Either way i need a new one and it seems like i can find every other part for the car but the "prop shaft"
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 4:03pm
I'm betting on "backlashin'," which back in the day meant cranking it up in reverse, then slamming it into a forward gear to spin the tires.  Had a friend who did that for his own amusement...until the day his car stopped pulling.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 4:29pm
This looks like an axle to me, the spline to carrier is sheared. The drive shaft is much bigger and from memory both ends are a "yolk" with external splines on the output shaft of the trans and the pinion gear of the diff. Can you elaborate aarong?
aarong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aarong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

This looks like an axle to me, the spline to carrier is sheared. The drive shaft is much bigger and from memory both ends are a "yolk" with external splines on the output shaft of the trans and the pinion gear of the diff. Can you elaborate aarong?

Well i am not much of a car guy. i bought this car for simplicity and to sort of learn how things worked so if i ever had to fix my own car i would have an idea what i was doing. so im not up on all the terminology.

So far what i know is this car is a torque tube car. 

inside the tube is a prop shaft/drive shaft. 

NOTICE: all images are blurry because i to ride my bike out to my car and it was cold so my hands were shaking alot. either way you get the gist of what i am trying to show.

where it connects into the transmission is sort of an adapter that the splines go into that has a U-Joint then that goes into the transmission. Picture link 

At the rear is just an adapter that the goes over the rear gear that the splines go into. picture link

The splines on the adapter for the rear are fine as are the picture link

So in the end i still need a new drive shaft. if anyone knows where i can get one please provide a link or links. at this point price does not seem to matter either i get one or the car never gets driven again.

Edited by aarong - Oct/21/2014 at 6:51pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:01pm
It's the actual drive shaft. And yes, it DOES look like an axle, because it's a solid shaft very much like an axle. There is a short splined slip joint at the rear end end that slips on the pinion shaft and the driveshaft slips into the other end, of course. Any 63-64 196 driveshaft will work. I believe the 65-66 232 shaft is the same also, but I'm not certain.

You should be able to find one in your area, though you may need ot buy the entire torque tube to get it. No problem there, really. If you get hung up on locating one I have one I'll sell.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:32pm
If you can't find the prop shaft some AMC 20's also fit your car. 

When I spun a hub on my 64 a guy supplied me with a complete AMC 20 TT differential with 9" brakes and 1 1/4" axles. I don't know what car it originally came from. Since then I pulled an AMC 20 at the junk yard that has 10" brakes and 1 3/8" axles (66 Ambassador 232). 

These things are so incredibly heavy and awkward to move. I had real fun with my son loading and off loading my spare from a full size pick up. Freight would be a killer to move these things any distance. 

Is there an AMC club in your city that you can join? Guys there have a lot of information of where these parts are hiding. Also run Kijiji and Craig's list ads. You might get a hit there.   
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:09pm
I have two 65 TT rears, one is out of the car and I intend to do exploratory to see what is going on and if it is useable whole or for parts.

They changed that propeller shaft in 65, but the piece you have that is stripped out and shattered should be fine and I'd expect any decent axle/machine shop to be able to swap that piece.

If you are interested I can dig it out and check it out. 
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic