TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 AMC rambler classic 550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 AMC rambler classic 550
    Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 1:01pm
I have a 63 rambler with a three speed no overdrive and I want to swap a three speed with r10 overdrive in does that still work with a torque tube?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:27pm
Yes, both transmissions are installed with a torque tube driveline. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 12:38pm
Where would I find a r10 overdrive for a torque tube driveline
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by AMC 550 AMC 550 wrote:

Where would I find a r10 overdrive for a torque tube driveline

Post an ad in  the WANTED section of this forum.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
itzamario View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itzamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 6:24pm
I have a question, if someone could help.  I am about to buy a 1964 Rambler American.  I want to put a new engine and automatic transmission in.  I'm having trouble with my research.  I would love to know which engines will fit and what the best one to choose.  I want to go as small as possible as it will be my daughters first car. If anyone has a recommendation or advice on where to look, research, or purchase, that would be great for me.  Thanks.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 10:53pm
You should probably start your own thread in the Frankenrambler section because it will involve something other than a Rambler engine.

I would think any 4 banger with a carburetor that will drop in with the oil pan clearing the crossmember will work, but still be lots of work to finish it all off. Mounts, fitting transmission to driveshaft, transmission linkage, carburetor linkage, hoses to rad, alternator hook up, exhaust and probably more comes to mind. 

You will I think be on your own on this one unless someone comes forward having already done it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 5:37am
There are some AMC engines that will fit. If you want to keep it all AMC you can use any AMC six from 72 on, even a 4.0L EFI six from a 2WD Jeep Cherokee. Even those will require some modification to mount in the 64, but not much. Relatively easy as far as engine swaps go. Newer, other than AMC engines aren't terribly difficult to fit in, but there are some considerations -- the oil pan clearing the crossmember is the first. As vinny says, if you want something other than an AMC engine the same post in the Frankenrambler section and you'll get more answers.
Frank Swygert
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2018 at 7:42am
Which transmissions works with a 287 and a torque tube. I also wondered how bad actually is the t86 would you rebuild it? Mine has a stuck main shaft so I want to know which one too buy.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 9:01am
Not much. T85 was used with OD, T86 is a straight three speed. T89 is a heavy duty three speed usually used behind the 327. I think both 287 and 327 used the T85 when optioned with OD. Ford used the T85 with OD even behind the 390 in trucks.

The T86 is a good trans and should be easy to rebuild. The stuck main shaft is most likely the front bearing. If you only need bearings and such it will be an easy job (the rebuild kit has everything). If you need new gears or shafts you might have a hard time finding them, but they are out there -- used or new.

The only thing to remember is that none of these trannys have a synchro on first gear, just between 2nd and 3rd. So you don't down-shift into first while moving more than 5 mph or so. It's just for taking off. Do that and it will last a long time and drive well. Start throwing it into first to slow down (except for an emergency) and you'll start to chip teeth and ruin the gear cluster and input shaft.
Frank Swygert
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 9:08am
Ok thanks a lot the cluster geàr has some broken stuff and I think it's catching inside somewhere
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic