TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1962 Rambler steering problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1962 Rambler steering problem
    Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 11:28am
I am working on a 1962 Rambler Cross Country. I have replaced all the front suspension parts except the trunnions. I had the manual gear box and power cylinder rebuilt by Lares. Have it all back together and I am getting a squeaking noise when I turn the wheel. At first it was just when I turned the wheel to the right a half of turn from the lock. After moving the bracket that mounts the power cylinder an moving it slightly the noise went to the left 1 turn before the lock. It seems like something may be slightly binding somewhere in the steering causing this noise and making it struggle. It seems to me that the power ram is where the noise is at the end where the strut rod extends. I can put a light film of grease on it and the noise goes away but comes right back when the grease is wiped clean for the rod. Not sure if anyone has had this issue but I can't figure it out. Been through the posts and did not see anything. TSM has no trouble shooting on this that I can see.
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 11:18am
I got it It seems I had the power cylinder for the steering to tight where it attaches to the Frame mount with the bushings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic