TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1962 American Windshield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 2:41pm
I'm gonna look at the b pillar option as well. But this far still leaning towards vert seats with integrated shoulder belt.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 5:49am
If you're going to replace the seats anyway why not? The car is wide enough to take a rather large bucket seat. I had 74 or so split bench Matador seats in my 63 American. They are really large buckets. Quite comfortable! The outer edges just touched the door panels. As long as you use a column shift it's not big deal.

Why are you adding framing under the car? The 58-63 American has rails that run from bumper to bumper. It's one of the stiffest unit bodies ever made. It will even take a small stock V-8 and not twist like newer unit bodies. The convertible had extra stiffeners running straight back from where the sills (what the "frame" rails on a unit body are technically called) turn out toward the rockers in front and back in at the back, with an X brace between those points (a bolt on plate at the middle of the X over the driveshaft). Even it doesn't flex like newer unit body convertibles. But there is really no need for extra framing under there unless you're building a high powered drag car. I know of a wheel stander that doesn't even have it, but then it has an eight point roll cage. Not really trying to talk you out of it, though it sounds that way! Curious as to why you want to though. If it were a newer unit body "frame connectors" wouldn't be a bad idea, but those bodys really don't need them -- already connected!
Frank Swygert
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 8:14am
I agree the car is rigid as is.  I am doing a franken rambler swap and the transmission cross member will be pretty far back.  I looked it all over and think the 2x3 square tubes I am gonna use will give me several benefits.  They will give me an easy solid place to use a bolt on transmission cross member.  I will tie they 2x3's to the outside frame and will give me a good solid mount for the seats.  It will also reinforce the floor board.  I removed the factory trans tunnel to fit the transmission.  The cost of the material is very little.  It will take some time to fit them.  The only obstacle I need to figure out is the real floor board foot section where it dips down a few inches.  I will either cut it out and flatten it or notch the 2x3 and reinforce the notch. 

The time is not a big deal.  I figured on 300-400 hrs at least to get this car where I want it.  
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by AMCnoob AMCnoob wrote:

I figured on 300-400 hrs at least to get this car where I want it.

I hope your 12-year old still likes the car when it's done!

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 990V8 990V8 wrote:

Ivor

Well, if I do my job right you will never even know I did anything just by looking at the car.  It will retain every aspect of the body, windows bumpers, handles trim, lights and so on.  Stance will prob be a little lower.  I will will 15 inch magnum 500 wheels which I think look pretty good on it.  The inside will be pretty close to the same.  I am still on the fence between floor shifter and using the column shifter.  I am hoping and think I can retain the steering column.  I am going to look more into the B pillar option for seatbelts.  I'd really like to use low back bucket seats and get the front and back reupholstered to match and look period correct.  

AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 11:52am

Ivor

The only real noticeable difference externally between stock and when I am done won't be noticable unless you are very knowledgeable about the car.  The track width with be a tad wider and stance will be a tad lower.   
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 12:24pm

Ivor

It dawned on me that I may have misunderstood the post.  Still likes it due to taste changes versus what I may have altered.  

That occurred to me also.  That in 3 years from now when she's ready to drive she will look at it and say um no.  Small part of me kinda hope she does.  I liked the car to begin with.  I just hope she figures it out before it gets painted.  I won't be disappointed driving it.  I may not be a fan of her color choice though.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 6:13am
So you may want to post in the Frankenrambler section on any drivetrain details, but go ahead and tell us what you're planning on installing.

The reinforcement you're describing sounds a lot like the convertible bracing, just without the X in the middle. I've installed an angle iron trans crossmember by running carriage bolts through the existing sills from the top (rounded head under carpet).

Frank Swygert
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 7:50am
Yep, mine will be very similar to those without the x brace.  I plan on welding them to the front frame, but when i wrapped the frame in 3/16's I left the inside 3" x 36" plate go under the car and hang.  My 2x3 will be cut ant an angle and fit inside between the old frame and the 3" 3/16 plate.  I will weld the 2x3 to the frame and the plate and tie it all together.  I am also going to use a 1/4 plate to weld to the 2x3 and bolt to the frame where the factory rear cross member goes.

The car will have a 4.6 SOHC, AOD trans and narrowed 8.8 out of a crown vic.  

I will add something to franken rambler soon.  
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 8:32am

....The car will have a 4.6 SOHC, AOD trans and narrowed 8.8 out of a crown vic.....

I'm surprised that 4.6 will fit the engine compartment.  That is one wide engine.  One of my friends just had to have a 4.6 in a '67 Mustang.  By the time he reworked the engine compartment so it would fit and massaged everything that behemoth ran into, he'd been better off staying with the 289.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic