TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1962 American Windshield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1962 American Windshield
    Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 12:36pm
From what I have read, it seems the front windshield in my 62 American is safety glass. Based on the government requiring it before my car was built.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, how "safe" is it compared to newer windshields and are there replacement windshields being made today with today's standards?

thanks
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 3:02pm
I don't think that issue has ever been brought up here on the forum.  The windshield is laminated glass, meeting the standards in place at the time of manufacture.  I'm wondering what you would do if someone said it was not safe?  Would you sell the car?   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 3:50pm
Safety glass is just a general generic term that can apply to tempered glass,  laminated glass, or wire reinforced glass.  

My 59 American's windshield was laminated glass, so i'm sure the 62 probably is too.
As is every other car built in America since about the 1940's.

I noticed somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's glass makers started making their laminated glass thinner. It is more flexible,  but if it's stronger ?   The plastic membrane between the layers is stronger,  more pliable. 

Edited by tyrodtom - Mar/16/2017 at 3:55pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 3:50pm
It's a bit more complex then that. I bought the car 3 years ago from a good friend. His dad bought it in 67 and they parked it in 77. His parents passed and house condemned and he needed it gone. So I bought it cheap with no idea what to do with it. First ppan was to resell it. My daughter was 9 at the time and fell in love with it. So I told her if she wanted it I'd let her have it and make it how she wanted it. So in summary, she's 12 now and I am putting it together for her and would spring for a new windshield with new standards if its available. It will be her daily driver, but we live in the sticks and she's prob never need to be on the interstate with it. If I was gonna drive it, I'd not care.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 4:48pm
If it was plate glass from the twenties I might worry, but the screen is laminated, that should be good enough for anyone.
Put in seat belts then it won't matter anyway.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 5:03pm
The '62 windshield is the least of your worries on the safety-level of that car. Besides, there are no new replacements to opt for...you'd be lucky to find an NORS one.

I have a '62, and personally, though I drove it as a teenager 44 years ago, I would not allow my teenager to drive it today. Fix it up for yourself. Take her for a ride in it now and then. But don't let a teenage drive a car without at least front and side airbags.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 5:17pm
My wife and I discussed that. Car will be used to drive to scool and back mostly. It will have 4 wheel disc brakes. School is 3 miles away. I'm not even 44 but I know in high school my friends and I drove a lot sketchier cars then this rambler.   

My son is 9 and he has a 65 c10. It's gonna get a full roll cage.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 7:10am
As long as you get good seat belts and she wears them she should be safe. Air bags would be a bit safer, especially if she wasn't wearing a shoulder belt, but teach her to wear the belts and set a good example!

It will take some work to get shoulder belts in. If this is a two door you will have to weld or bolt in an anchor point up high in the B pillar. If it's a four door just drill a hole through the B pillar for a 3/8" bolt. That's how I put S-10 Blazer shoulder belts in my 63 Classic. You can see the bolt when a door is open, but only a few people have noticed it -- and they were curious as to how I got the shoulder belts in (were looking for it).

Juliano's is a good place for new belts (http://www.julianos.com/Seat-Belts-s/96.htm). Check their "how to install" section for examples of putting shoulder belts in a 35-40 Ford and a 55 Chevy. The Ford uses a bolt-in mount, the Chevy a weld in. You wold have to fab a bolt-in mount, don't recall if that could be done easily or not on the Rambler two door. I used S-10 Blazer belts because the retractor bolts to the floor and is exposed with a vinyl cover. Looks good, but you will probably want new belts. An alternative would be to look at some newer car seats that have the lap belts built in.
Frank Swygert
AMCnoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 7:17am
I put 3 point belts in my 63 F100 but that was very easily done.  My first thought since I will be adding framing under the car is to go with convertible seats with built in seat belts.  Something from a Sebring or like wise.  Then have the front and rear seats reupholstered to match.

It is a 2 door. 
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 1:44pm
Unusually, my 63 had inertia reel belts (retractors) from new.
There is a B post bolt, the other fittings are all through the floor with square spreader washers underneath.

I had to replace the retractors because the springs were shot, and the web because new retractors won't take 2" webbing, but I kept the original alloy buckles.

My first ten years were spent driving cars with no seat belts. Feels strange now, and on a bench seat I imagine it wouldn't be very comfortable.

Was in a head-on at 50 mph in 1981. The belts came in useful. Saved my bacon. Didn't save my MGC though.

Ivor

Edited by 990V8 - Mar/20/2017 at 5:07pm
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic