TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1961 rambler american front suspension geometry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1961 rambler american front suspension geometry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 rambler american front suspension geometry
    Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 6:28pm
since i'm making (yet another) rear suspension for my '61 american-based roadster i wanted to see if i could do anything about matching front and rear roll centers (still working on that) but i found (sic) an online suspension calculator, and given a car and an iron pile with front suspension assemblies in it i entered the car's suspension geometry:

it's kinda interesting. it's an unequal length A-arm ("double wishbone") of course but set up very conservatively (nash=conservative). the upper arm is *almost* parallel, which makes the instant centers zoom from left to right depending on ride height. (i run air springs on all four corners so i can dial this in so that both pivots of the lower arm are parallel to the road). that's what i tried to setup in the URL above.

the roll center moves all over the place with any change in lateral load! which we all know from experience. 

haven't done any poking yet to see how anything could be changed.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 8:19pm
as it is, for 3 degrees of body roll the roll center/moment center moves laterally 24 inches, which is what gives ramblers that mushy understeer.

if you shorten the upper arm 1" and lower the inner pivots 2", the static roll center moves from 1.8" below ground to 4" above, and for 3 degrees of body roll, the RC/MC moves only 5 inches, a heck of an improvement.

though i'm unlikely to do this, it wouldn't be all that hard to do on the early americans; both upper and lower arms mount to cast or forged pivot bars, the top one of which would easily move down the outward-curving pocket. shortening the arm would be straightforward enough (not sure i'd trust my own welds on that :-)

now i can go look at the suspension kits for AMX's etc and see what it is they do, and what effect it will have....

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2016 at 6:53am
The early Falcon and Mustang had an issue with camber changes (the Rambler doesn't have that at least!). The upper arms were parallel with the ground. They moved the upper mounts down an inch to improve handling. They didn't change the length of the arms top or bottom (bottom is a strut rod design, limited adjustment), but may have been due to the suspension geometry of those cars. There is a kit to drop the upper pivot 1-3/4"-- it requires a wedge spacer for the upper ball joint to correct the angle. You might try the 1" drop for an easy improvement and no arm cutting.

BTW -- instead of cutting the arms I'd consider making some new tubular arms. The inner bushing end would be easy enough. For the trunnion end I think I'd try flattening the tubing then drilling and tapping.

Mustang II uses a bar mount upper arm -- you might consider getting the measurement off one of those then cutting at the ball joint and fabbing ends for the trunnion. Or even using a pair and lengthening/shortening as needed and ball joints and an MII spindle as well... but then steering geometry would be off, unless you also threw in rack and pinion steering. All that is getting a bit far away from the vintage feel of the car though. The 1" drop sounds like the best short term plan.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic