TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1961 American front suspension rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 8:37am
Great work so far! The fellow I mentioned before did something similar, but welded plates on the outer ends of the arms and bolted on a ball joint, either used a concord or Mustang II spindle.  He used rubber bushings on the inner end, but will have to cut one arm to replace those bushings. He decided it wasn't a big issue... the rubber bushings should last a long time. Wouldn't be difficult to make one arm bolt off though. Of course lower arms were done the same. Boots on those rod ends shold make them last, and as you said, most shock is in the lower arms, the upper ones really just keep the wheel from flopping out at the top.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 11:10pm
yeah, i'm too much of an engineer to weld  a kludge together like that! but i understand the impulse -- it's a PITA to get this stuff done right.

tomorrow i should get all four wheels back on the ground for the "last" time. it's coming out quite nicely -- camber and caster independently settable. camber easily adjusts with a twist to 3 degrees negative (much too much, i'll be running -1 degree).  of course no real caster available with the lower trunnion, but i can at least set it neatly to 0! then the later balljoint will let me fix that.

the upper arms are simple tubes with heims. by themselves, the trunnion can shift back and forth (actually it swings in a funny shallow complex arc), the four heims make a parallelogram. this conveniently allows adjusting caster nearly independently of camber (over a few degrees).  a plate (not shown here) bolts across the top, onto the two two-hole tabs welded to the arms, and holds "caster" fixed, preventing the parallelgram from shifting.  it also holds a bumper for the trunnion casting to hit when the suspension is at full drop (saving the air springs).

tomorrow i'll install it and take the rest of the pictures.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 6:09am
Hmmm... you know, you could do something similar to the upper arms on the lowers. Typing as I think...

IIRC the trunnion studs are 5/8" standard threads. I'm pretty sure they aren't long enough to get a heim joint and a nut on though, and they are pretty hard. Probably too hard to drill for a 3/16" or so bolt and large washer. BUT... with the arm made like your upper, with the plate, you con't need anything on the end of the trunnion stud to hold the heims on, the plate will do that! The arms can't move apart, so the heims stay on. As long as the studs protrude completely through the heims with just a little (at least a thread or two... 1/16" or more) out each side, I'd be okay without anything on the ends. The ball of the heim wouldn't be held tight, but it should still turn in the socket instead of one the threads. If concerned about that you could always turn the threads down and press fit a piece of tubing over them, long enough for a thin jam nut to go on the end. Wouldn't matter if the nut area stuck over the end of the original stud. Then the only thing that would ride on threads is the steering knuckle in the lower trunnion. One of the old lower trunnion replacement kits that have a plain bushing and smooth threaded sleeve for the end of the knuckle would fit that -- but really not needed unless the threads in the trunnion are worn badly. The heims on the bottom would allow more caster also...  More for you to think about!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

IIRC the trunnion studs are 5/8" standard threads. I'm pretty sure they aren't long enough to get a heim joint and a nut on though, and they are pretty hard.

they're not 5/8, i just checked one. it's about 3/4", but it looks like it's "semi-acme" threaded, i dont think it (or the upper, actually) is UNC threaded, though that is 5/8", 11 TPI.  but of course most used ones are worn to razor sharp peaks. and the length is short.

but i get what you're saying -- that is an approach to look at.

i now have a large pile of clean but used suspension parts. my experience this year will decided what i do with them...

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 8:20pm
OK! i got the new system together in the last couple days, and got it aligned today. still need to do the toe, but i need to make a tool for that.

it took a couple of tries to get the arm length correct, but i have a camber range of adjustment from about half a degree positive to over 3 degrees negative. i'm running one degree negative camber initially. i went to some effort to make the two arm halves the same length, then ran out the forward arm half one turn to bias the top slightly rearward for caster. then set caster via shims on the lower arm.

though it took hours to work out the procedure, it's nicely simple -- upper a-arm length sets camber, shims in the lower arm set caster. interaction is actually quite minimal. the lower arms are just bolted to the chassis with a single spacer washer, only the front bolt each side requires shims for caster. i set camber first, then shimmed out caster. that changed camber less than half a degree.

i'm running -1 degree camber and 0.75 caster left 1.0 right.

the upper arm halves have welded tabs to which attaches a cross plate that prevents the parallelogram from shifting, and mounts the upper trunnion bump stop in the stock location (but not the stock bumper). the tabs mean that the arms can be rotated only in full turns, which amounts of about 3/8 of a degree. but rotating one only splits that, and that little unequal seems harmless.

it's all over-built (i hope) as i'd rather not have to determine what "adequate" is, the hard way. ask me next year how the heim joints are!

oops gotta go, mor pics later

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 1:16pm
just another couple pics. i have some wiring to do before i can start and drive it. hopefully in a week.

here are the arm halves attached to the '70 Mustang cross shaft bar that has the 1 inch "shelby drop" included. since the photo was taken square-on perspective and depth is ruined but it shows some of the relationships.

the arm ends hanging down in the photo above swing up and bolt to the existing cast trunnion via the (sloppy) threaded hole through the casting, using a length of (quality, low carbon, US made steel) threaded rod, 7.5" long. the heims are sitting on high-error spacers to accommodate the rather broad angle. at the cross shaft end the spacers are 1/4", here at the trunnion 3/4". this is far more than necessary to avoid contact, it was fine when all were the more common .33", but this lowers the overall angle and there's plenty of room; this stack of hardware clears tire and rim by a couple inches.

the funny thing about this is that what i think was one of the worst design features of this suspension, this difficult trunnion casting, is now the strongest. the knuckle pivot (needle roller and thrust bearing) are great, and the sloppy threaded pivot is no longer a moving part.

if there was more room at the chassis -- or if you were willing to chop out sheet metal -- a "ford" rubber bushed rod end would work just fine and restore some compliance. the outer end too, there's enough room for rubber bushings there (ford type) but in fact i'd prefer the rigid heims there, they're not doing a lot of work and they're more compact. (the lower control arm will be rubber bushed, as there's plenty of room on bottom.)

last, here's the "back" side of the upper arm.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 1:55pm
one more post, and a duplicate picture to point out a major feature and more than half the reason for all this effort:

here's the stock upper arm on it's Nashcan pivot bar. note that the arm pivot is in the same plane as the bolts that attach the pivot bar to the chassis...

... and here is the new fabricated arm, in place, on the 1970 Ford Mustang cross shaft bar, with integral "Shelby drop", that lowers the upper pivot position, relative to the mounting holes, by one inch. here is a decent explanation of the "shelby drop". though named after a Caroll Shelby hack it applies to all double-wishbone front suspension designs:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/understanding-shelby-arning-drop-changes/29324

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 7:26pm
OK i updated the project website to include all this stuff. many pics and procedures on how to may poly bushings for stock replacement too.

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1961-Rambler-Roadster/front-suspension/index.html

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 1:05pm
That last pic shows why there isn't enough room for rubber bushed rod ends. Looks like there would be enough if using the stock mounting bar though. A bit of judicious hammer application might create enough room for a rubber bushed inner rod end with the dropped bar, not necessarily cutting.  RideTech rubber bushed rod ends (not poly!) with a bend in the rod at the inner end would work well. Or use a piece of tubing that a bushing (RideTech or Ford stock style) would fit and weld the rods at the correct angle. With the screw in ends and bent arms you would have a little more adjustment though -- the rods can be screwed in or out a good bit, and a rubber bushing has enough compliance to stand a little angle is necessary.

I think I'd go with the thinner spacers on both sides and use a thinner jam nut instead of a standard thickness nut. Would be just for aesthetics... not that anyone would see it unless changing a tire though.

I'm sure you don't take my comments as anything more than CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at the most... really just adding my thoughts. I've considered something similar several times, but never actually did it. I pretty much ruled out heims though, as I was thinking more of a daily driver. With nylon lined heims and the protective rubber boots now available, they are good enough for a daily driver... but will still wear out faster than a traditional stock rubber bushing. I would think they would last 50K miles or so on most roads, especially with the rubber boots, which is acceptable to me. That's still 4-5 years for most daily drivers, and longer if it's not truly driven everyday, but used as a second/fun car. I bought a motorcycle and rode it for years to keep miles off the Rambler... between the two I still put 12-14K a year on them, about half and half.

Edited by farna - Feb/11/2018 at 1:10pm
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That last pic shows why there isn't enough room for rubber bushed rod ends.

exactly. the bolts and heims and spacer stack *just* clears, sheet of paper thin one side, so i tapped the pocket out so i had 1/8" clearance. but the upper should be less noise sensitive than the lowers -- also most noise transmission is i think via the steel spring, hence all the pads etc, and the airbag solved that one.

Quote Looks like there would be enough if using the stock mounting bar though.

dont think so. the AMC bushings are not only 9/16" ID (unique) but short. the Ford type are 1.5" plus hardware, so no-go, or not worth, to me, the extra engineering effort.

Quote RideTech rubber bushed rod ends (not poly!) with a bend in the rod at the inner end would work well. Or use a piece of tubing that a bushing (RideTech or Ford stock style) would fit and weld the rods at the correct angle.

a huge improvement of the "ford" type over AMC is that the pivot is a bolt, not a stud. most of the aftermarket welded U-shaped arms are one piece, and assume a bolt pivot you couldn't install it on the AMC stud type. also the AMC stud is utterly unique, 9/16". IMPOSSIBLE to find any bushing or joint that ID.

Quote I think I'd go with the thinner spacers on both sides and use a thinner jam nut instead of a standard thickness nut. Would be just for aesthetics... not that anyone would see it unless changing a tire though.

engineering won over aesthetic. the set of spacers chosen makes the arms substantially more parallel, the joint loading is much more square. the long trunnion stud more easily prevents rotational forced with less energy (longer lever). it only looks a little funny :-)

Quote I'm sure you don't take my comments as anything more than CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at the most... really just adding my thoughts.

oh of course! never worry about that! it's a conversation, your ideas usually have affected some aspect of what i'm building or thinking.

time will tell but in the upper arm i think the heims will be fine. the QA1 Endura series are one piece injection seats, no lube, and are already dust tight. motion is only in one plane (up/down). forces are quite low. they're 90-degrees from all of the impulse forces (curbs and even turns) so noise/vibration and therefore wear should be relatively low.

we;ll see though of course. and they're $15 each, 50K miles, even, would be fine. changing ther heims would take a half hour, all i gotta do is take the wheel off, let the air out of the spring, unbolt the cross shaft thingie. adjust for the identical lengths and it wouldn't even affect camber.

but materials in motion have their own rules, we can only be patient and discover them as we go :-) hopefully ive ainticipated the big chunks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic