TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1959 Ramble six custom. rear axle stripped splines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 Ramble six custom. rear axle stripped splines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

You will need an American front yoke if you're keeping the 196. The yoke on the front of the TT shaft is short, not intended to slide in and out.

what is the transmission this comes from... 
or better question- how would i identify one on ebay?
1959 Rambler Six Custom
Shaved, Lowered, Black/Red
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 5:25pm
The best thing you can do is take the one you have and measure it -- inside diameter (down in the splines, or measure the OD of the transmission shaft, which is on top of the splines, and would be within a few thousandths of the ID down in the splines), outside diameter, and number of splines. Count the tops of the splines, not the valleys, and make sure you tell anyone you ask for a count to count the top. that's most common, but sometimes someone just won't know or they've heard to count the valleys. Better to spell it out than be sorry later.

Oh, it will come from the transmission you have... or want to use. If you have a 196 the manual trans is a T-96. It's okay for a cruiser with the 196, but nothing bigger. And I have to go here... if the 196 is questionable in any way, now would be the time to ditch it. It's a good reliable engine and will stay that way as long as it's properly maintained. The only two "unusual" maintenance items (as far as most people are concerned) are that the head MUST be retorqued every 3 years or 10-12K miles, and the valves need to be adjusted at least at those intervals. The service manual says every 8K, but that is with daily driving, and even then there is no harm if you go 2-3 K more. I just retorqued the head bolts every time I adjusted the valves the 14 years I drove one (as a true DD -- back and forth to work, whenever I went ANYWHERE without the wife, including a few day long trips every year).  Easy to retorque the head -- loosen one bolt at a time and torque down to 60 ft/lbs. No need to worry about order UNLESS you loosen all at once. I probably said this to you already, but if you don't know when the last time the head was torqued DO IT NOW before driving AT ALL. Good heads are hard to find.

After all that, if you have considered getting rid of the 196 for more power or something easier/less expensive to get parts for, now would be the time. Get an engine and transmission (and drive shaft for the yoke and front half) all from the same donor. A 4.0L from a Jeep Cherokee is a good choice, or any other AMC six made after 1971(72+ 232/258). Why after 71? The trans bolt pattern changed and you will get a more modern (again, easier to fix/get parts for) Chrysler trans with the 72+ AMC bell pattern (same for sixes and V-8s). Or an AW4 auto OD from a Jeep. You can put a carb on the 4.0L easily, but will lose a little power over the EFI (from 190 down to about 160-170, depending on intake and carb used... might be able to get up to 180 with a Holley 450 Truck Avenger and an Offy DP intake). You can also use a more modern AMC V-8. You will need to fab motor mounts no matter what you put in. So I'll "go there" -- you can put in a "foreign" engine for the same amount of work. There is a custom shop in NC building a 58-59 wagon for a cruiser and they are considering a Ranger 2.5L EFI drivetrain. Makes sense, car weighs about the same and has about the same frontal area as a Ranger truck, should perform about the same.
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 5:48pm
Okay, the Jeep AMC 20.... not a good choice. The CJ AMC 20 is too narrow (50" tread) and has 5x5.5" wheels (instead of 5x4.5"). The Wagoneer and narrow J-trucks (J-10) have a 63.8" tread and 6 lug wheels. The rear tread of the 58-62 big Ramblers is 59.13". Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit/American/Javelin all have around a 57" tread (give or take 1/4" or so -- these all use leaf springs). The 67+ big cars (Ambo/Rebel/Mat) have a 60" tread, but use a four link. The four link upper crossmember can be made to fit the older body. Lower arm mounts would have to be fabricated.  The 83-92 Ranger axle is 56" wide (tread width, assuming using wheels that are centered like stock AMC wheels), 93-12 axles are 57.5", and Explorer axles (pre 2011) are 59". You can't use track/tread data as a comparison! 92 Rangers have a tread of 54.1", but the axle is right at 56". Most modern trucks use the deeper 4x4 style wheels even on 2WD to keep the wheels the same. I put Toyota 16" wheels on my J-10 and had to use 1/4" spacers to clear the steering.
Frank Swygert
FastEddy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 3:13am
What are you talking about? Si you even read my post? Who is discussing everyone swaps? There is so much info about the axles I don't need I am not sure what info is important.
1959 Rambler Six Custom
Shaved, Lowered, Black/Red
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 5:04am
Info overload, huh?
1. Get a driveshaft yoke for the transmission you intend to use. For the stock 196 six that would be a T-96 if it's a manual, an M-8 if it's an automatic.

2. The Jeep CJ axles are too narrow (50") and have an odd 5 x 5.5" wheel bolt pattern. The big Jeep axles are too wide (64" or more) and have six lug wheel bolt patterns. 56-62 big Ramblers have a 60" wide axle. So you need an axle from something else.

66-69 American, Javelin, or AMX are the right width but AMC 20 axles are in high demand and may be hard to find -- only in V-8 cars. 70-79 Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit V-8 cars will have an AMC 20 the right width, but those are even harder to find and in higher demand than the 66-60 models. 70-83 small cars with six will have an AMC 15.  Thus the tirade about Ford Ranger axles, which led to possible drivetrain swaps...
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by FastEddy FastEddy wrote:

What are you talking about? Si you even read my post? Who is discussing everyone swaps? There is so much info about the axles I don't need I am not sure what info is important.

You seem to be working hard at cutting yourself off from all help,  you've gave several replies to people that have probably insured they'll never try to help you again.

It's hard to give information without giving advice.
  Like your idea to put a AMC 20 rearend on a 59 Rambler,  a AMC 20 rearend in the width you need is super rare, that's why several have advised you to take a alternate course. 
  Calm down and listen.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Hugo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 10:47am
I HAVE A RAMBLER CROSS COUNTRY 1960  3.2L 6 
dO YOU KNOW WHAT YEARS WILL FIT THE SAME REAR HUB?

THANKS
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 2:59pm
56-61 should fit. Make sure you have the correct axle (V-8 or six) and change the axle and hub together. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic