TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1959 Ramble six custom. rear axle stripped splines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 Ramble six custom. rear axle stripped splines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 9:41am
The only welding to the axle would be right at the end of the threads and welding the nut to the hub shouldn't affect the heat treating of the axle driving part. Do you think brass shim stock might grip better than stainless? I don't know if it would hold on a V-8 driven car but easy driving with the old six might be OK.
FastEddy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 2:09pm
Headded to the Salvage yard today. Hopefully i find what i need with this information. thanks farna!

**JUST GOT BACK FROM THE SALVAGE YARD AND NONE OF THE SHAFTS I PULLED HAD 16 SPLINES AAHHHHH!

Edited by FastEddy - Sep/26/2012 at 5:02pm
1959 Rambler Six Custom
Shaved, Lowered, Black/Red
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 4:18pm
Might be more money than you want to put into it but what if you had new axles made like we do on our newer cars for racing thru Moser?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 11:11am
Call up galvins rambler parts, Doug has a 58-59 parts car i got some parts from
Nice guys and basicly only charged me a little more than the labor to pull the parts off that
I needed.
FastEddy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 11:09am
so after no luck im debating putting an AMC 20 under there. also ill be fabbing my own ladder bars and mounting hardware and stuff. 

MY QUESTION NOW IS>>>>
can i take the enclosed drive line out 
and take the yoke off the end 
and put it on a different driveshaft 
that would fit on an AMC 20 rear end 
and have an open driveline? 
1959 Rambler Six Custom
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 11:29am
Was the axle at the wrecker the same length as your 16 spline axle ? If so remove the rear cover and get the matching spider gears.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:30pm
Ummm.... no. You will need an American front yoke if you're keeping the 196. The yoke on the front of the TT shaft is short, not intended to slide in and out.

There's no reason to use an AMC 20 axle either. If you're going to leave the original six in, or even switch to a 232/258, 4.0L, or even a mild 304/stock 360 V-8, use an open drive AMC 15 (six cylinder Concord, Hornet, etc.). If you want a newer, more readily available rear axle the 7.5" early Ford Ranger axle is about the same width (pre 92). You can use a Ranger 8.8", but it's 1.5" wider than the pre 92 axle (all the Ranger 92+ axles are the same width -- 7.5" and 8.8"). For a cruiser you just don't need the extra weight of the AMC 20 or Ford 8.8". The AMC 15 and Ford 7.5" will hold up fine for normal and even occasional hard driving. If you plan on putting in a warmed up 360 and hammering on it a good bit you will definitely want the heavier axle, but otherwise it's not necessary. With a stock 360 the AMC 15/Ford 7.5" won't last as long as a heavier axle, but we're still talking over 100K miles. You're not going to go out and break it right away even with a hot 360  -- not unless the car hooks up really good and you're running cheater slicks anyway.
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:32pm
Oh, good call Keith!! As far as I know all the differential parts interchange, there was just a difference in the splines on the two axle suppliers. How that slipped through I don't know! Might be something AMC failed to specify, might be that the suppliers were already equipped to make parts with different spline counts and it would impact cost to have one of them change... who knows?? 
Frank Swygert
FastEddy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 1:03pm
I CAN GET AN AMC 20 FOR THE SAME PRICE AS ANYTHING ELSE. thats why i want that one. i figured why not, right?

as for the spider gears.....i asked about interchangeable parts and this is kind of a little too late do you know how difficult it is to do that at a junkyard where the vehicles i'm working with are chassis-on-ground. not to mention i have t walk all my stuff in with me and the ramblers are conveniently located in the far back corner.
1959 Rambler Six Custom
FastEddy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastEddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 1:05pm
also about the AMC 20 axle. 

i live in an area where 4X4 trucks and jeeps are all over the place. parts like an amc 20 axle will be no problem for me to find i actually have one lined up for 150.
I know as well that replacement parts will be no problem after i put in the amc 20. another reason why. 
1959 Rambler Six Custom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic