TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 Classic Big car rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 Classic Big car rambler
    Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 12:42pm
I'm looking for the rear coil spring isolators for my 1959 Rambler super 6. Galvins, Rockauto do not carry them. The Springs have an out side diameter of 6 inches. Energy suspension makes a universal kit but they are only 5 and 7/16 wide at most and wont cover. Anyone figured a solution for this?  
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 1:21pm
I would I would look for other coil spring cushions that could be modified to work.  Check with other big suppliers of models that had coil springs in the front or rear.  I'm assuming you need either/both the front or rear.  Most cars used coils in the front.  The ones I would concentrate on would be Fords.  Check but antique Ford sites like Macs Auto parts.  Search the web for antique parts dealers.  OPG makes lots of parts for the Chevelles that had rear coil springs. 

Then, if you can't find anything, look at the Grainger catalog for small sheets of the high durometer (hard to the touch) rubber offered there in the proper thickness.  Cut/carve your own parts to suit.  

I have not had to do any of this for spring isolators but I have used such methods for other parts.  So this is just the way I would approach it.  AMC was not an island.  In many cases they used what was available and in most cases they used the same subcontractors that others like Ford used.  Details of the parts vary of course, but there are many similarities too.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 2:29pm
Check the rubber seal manufacturers -- Metro is a good one (https://www.metrommp.com/)
Frank Swygert
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 9:50am
Ok, looks like there isnt an easy solution, Thanks for the suggestions, I'll share when I find a solution. I'm converting the rear suspension to truck arm I have all the parts except isolators and plan to get started on the install in the coming weeks so Ill document the build. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 3:02pm
Well, everything will work without isolators. They aren't very thick and don't absorb a lot of vibration, but they do help some. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic