TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 AMC 327 with Holley Carb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 AMC 327 with Holley Carb.
    Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 7:53pm
A recently acquired '57 Hudson Hornet Hollywood has a Holley carburetor on it(we believe from a '59 AMC), perhaps a 4160 I cannot confirm yet as no tag exists. But in schematic for the carburetor that show the Climatizer assembly, there is a small black plastic rotating piece between the climatizer and the carburetor called "Float Spring." What is the purpose of this? I've had difficulty setting the choke plate to initially close. This plastic piece is just sitting there and moves up and down maybe 45-60 degrees but I do not know what it is supposed to do and there really is no ready access to the piece.

Thanks.

RHO

Edited by Trog - Jul/30/2014 at 7:56pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 11:15pm
Could you possibly make a scan of the diagram so we can see this part? I don't recall a part with that name on the 4150.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:25am
'bump' or a picture of you pointing to the part you are talking about?
Maybe the climatizer is what we call the choke housing now?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 7:09pm
Well, a 1957 Hudson Hornet would have had the AMC 327 stock. Last year Hornet, built on the Nash Ambassador body with different trim, grille, and dash. The Wasp still used the Hudson six, but the top of the line Hornet used the Nash/AMC V-8. 
Frank Swygert
Trog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 7:59pm
Can't readily see how to post a pic without uploading it to a website for sharing.
Trog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 8:03pm
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 10:59pm
For those who don't know, in '57 the AMC 327 would have come from the factory with a Carter WCFB, with either #2593S or #2593SA.  Since the Hornet in question has a Holley, it likely would be from a '58-up.  Is there a Holley model number stamped into the carb base?

Frank, there was no '57 Wasp; '56 was the swan song for the Wasp, and the '55 and '56 Wasp used the 202 flathead six originally designed for the '53-'54 Jet.  I suspect that AMC wanted to kill the Wasp, as they didn't put the '54 Rambler flathead six in the larger '54-'55 Statesman, the way they did with the Jet engine in the Wasp. But that's a digression from the original topic.

Trog, from the diagram you posted, it looks like what they're calling a "float spring" is what this Holley diagram is calling the "fast idle cam assembly," #136 in the Holley diagram:  

The difference in the nomenclature might be why it's so difficult to find.  Because in the Holley diagram at the link I provided, the "float spring" is item #124, and mounts in the carb bowl under the float.

Hope this link is helpful.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Jul/31/2014 at 11:03pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 11:02pm
Looking at your diagram, I don't think the reference numbers apply to the picture below them at all.  The choke thermostat is #3 in the diagram...yet #3 in the chart above it is allegedly a "hex nut".  No way in h*ll a choke thermostat is a hex nut.

And if #7 in that diagram is a sight plug, I'll eat your power valve.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Trog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 7:21pm
I haven't found a carburetor number yet. There is no standard metal tag attached. We know the engine/carburetor was replaced on the car years ago but that's all we know. The owner passed away and we received no maintenance records or history of the car as such. We've been trying to adjust the choke climatizer to close the choke for startup and I've been able to get it closed when cold to within perhaps 1/16" which has made it warm up significantly sooner. But with this unusual black plastic imbedded down in the components, I'm wasn't able to determine what it's significance is or whether it is actually working. Having no carburetor ID tag and not knowing what AMC car it came off of, I just cannot produce any actual diagrams or schematics.
Trog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 7:25pm
In the link to the jpg it looks like the part number on that page is 136 as you identified. That is indeed the same component as what is labeled "11" on the scan I posted. Not sure how this "fast idle cam" works and can be adjusted. It's unlike any I've seen. Thanks

Edited by Trog - Aug/01/2014 at 7:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic