TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 196 ohv rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 196 ohv rebuild
    Posted: May/22/2018 at 8:47am
Looking for some input on pulling my motor to rebuild. The head is off and already at the shop. Is there a good point to attach to on these motors to pull. Am I better pulling it out strapping it underneath? I am also looking for door and window seals for my 59 Rambler if you have any leads. Thanks
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 9:35am
Since the head is off, use two of the head bolts screwed in a few threads on opposite ends of the block.  If you mean the fuzzy beltline seals, Peter Stathes (ifoundit@amcrambler.com) can make reproduction moldings to match.   The actual rubber door gasket and window gasket parts are scarce now.  You might contact one of the standard AMC vendors, like Galvin's Rambler Parts and see what they have.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 11:21am
Thanks. I called Galvins yesterday and left a message, I called too early since I am on the east cost. I am following your advice and bolting from the top. Hoping to have the block out and to the machine shop today. Fingers crossed. I need the felt/ fuzzy seals as well as door seals. I want to post pics from my phone but haven't figured it out yet, I am not so tech savy.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 7:07am
59 American or big car? You can pull the engine in either from the top with the head off, but I advise leaving the trans under the car if you do this. Pretty tight under the hood, especially of the American. Take radiator out first, if it's still in.  I suggest you put the motor back in without the head as well. Less weight and more importantly height to deal with. That heavy six head isn't the easiest to get on with block in car, but you can use your cherry picker to lower head in place.
Frank Swygert
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 7:23am
Thanks. It is a rambler classic four door sedan, big car. I got the motor out yesterday. I will follow your advice when re installing and leave the head off. I was surprised at the weight when I removed the head. I removed the heater core and was looking for a replacement for my vacuum motor, I wouls like an electric one. I thought I could rig something up, but there is next to no room in there.
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 8:46am
Btw. How do I get pictures up in this thread? Can I not do it from my phone?
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 11:57am
Cant seem to get the steering box out. I removed the gear from mounts and it is free. Steering wheel will be pulled so it should just slide out, or am I missing something. Hoping to sand and paint engine bay vefore re installing motor.

Edited by Ohm - May/23/2018 at 12:51pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 12:47pm
My 62 Classic manual (same chassis) says:
disconnect battery
remove steering wheel (speficies puller)
remove jacket tube bracket to instrument panel mounting bolts
remove pitman arm using specified puller 
support engine at front and remove front crossmember
remove three steering gear mounting plate screws and lower steering gear.

Joe
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 12:50pm
I am stuck. Trying to free the steering wheel. My puller is useless. I guess you need a special tool j-5209?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 12:58pm
The TSM specifies tool J-5290.  It is a puller that presses the wheel off of the shaft without needing those  3/8ths or so bolts used with a conventional puller.   Call Galvin's and see if they sell a reproduction or there is a guy in Socal who reproduces that part.  He advertises in the AMCRC newsletter.  Tomj here on the forum made one too I think.   I have never needed one yet.  I was successful in just tugging hard back and forth on the wheel.  Leave the nut loose on the wheel if you do this and it helps to have the driver seat still in car.  Joe 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic