TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1957 Cross Country Wagon engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydromike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1957 Cross Country Wagon engine swap
    Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 3:29pm
I've tried to search the forum here and the 'net as a whole to get some definitive answers on my questions, but with all the misinformation and disinformation floating around I wanted to once-and-for-all  get to the right answers.

I've purchased a 1957 Cross-Country Wagon out of California (on it's way to me in WNY soon) with a 196 and three speed manual transmission.  The seller says that the 196 is currently seized, but I don't know how hard he's tried to unstick it.  Regardless, I'm weighing the option of swapping in a Rambler 327 V-8 in place of the 196.  From what I've read (and believe) is that the transmission/torque tube and rear end will all have to come from a 108" wheelbase, V8 donor car for this to be a direct bolt-in.  Was there also a difference between I6 and V8 engine crossmembers this early on?  Fabrication doesn't bother me in the least, so if engine mounts need to be generated to fit the six-cylinder crossmember it's not a problem.  

My goal is to use as many factory-available piece as possible and certainly want to retain the manual transmission, but didn't want to have to get into the torque-tube and rear end swap right away, mainly because I think hunting the parts down will be tough and cost prohibitive.

So to summarize, what donor parts are absolutely necessary to swap an AMC 327 into my '57 Wagon?
Thanks in advance...

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 10:28pm
A good person to ask might be Doug Galvin and Galvin's Rambler Parts in Lodi, CA.  www.ramblerparts.com     I don't think Doug answers the phone any more but Ben or someone there might be able to forward your question to him.  
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Rambler Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2018 at 6:48pm
Mike. Another WNY guy here with a 59 wagon in teh same process.   I went round and round with what to do and am doing an entire drive train swap. Shoot me a PM or talk to Farna. He gave me lots of great advice.   There are rear ends here local that fit. Explorer rear is the right width and bolt pattern. I got one and doing truck arm suspension with it. a long with some other swaps! Stay warm out there to...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 6:18pm
To swap...I'd get a 1957 V8 parts car. I know from personal experience that like every one else....AMC changed stuff from year to year... For example the 1962 has alot of one year parts
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 9:52pm
I have a complete 57 327 4 bbl engine and trans id sell, inexpensive.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 11:27am
The engine doesn't mount directly on the crossmember. The six and V-8 suspension crossmembers are essentially the same, the I-6 engine mounts via two front mounts on a separate crossmember and two mounts on the bell housing. The V-8 has some "extension" pieces that go from the front engine crossmember to the suspension crossmember, the engine mounts are on those. The only difference in the crossmembers are that the six CMs lack the bolt holes for the V-8 extension pieces... but they may be there.

Get a 57 TSM -- it shows all the mounts.

You should be able to use parts form any 56-61 108" wheelbase Rambler V-8. You could even change to the lower ball joint suspension introduced in 1962 by swapping parts from a 62 Ambassador. Not hard -- the steering knuckle, lower arm, and CM are all that changed.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 1:48pm
Tie rods changed to the 63-later style too in 1962.  In fact I think the whole bottom of the steering assembly changed.  But I have experience with the tie rods.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Tie rods changed to the 63-later style too in 1962.  In fact I think the whole bottom of the steering assembly changed.  But I have experience with the tie rods.  Joe
and the oil pan is also different in 1962...
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The engine doesn't mount directly on the crossmember. The six and V-8 suspension crossmembers are essentially the same, the I-6 engine mounts via two front mounts on a separate crossmember and two mounts on the bell housing. The V-8 has some "extension" pieces that go from the front engine crossmember to the suspension crossmember, the engine mounts are on those. The only difference in the crossmembers are that the six CMs lack the bolt holes for the V-8 extension pieces... but they may be there.

Get a 57 TSM -- it shows all the mounts.

You should be able to use parts form any 56-61 108" wheelbase Rambler V-8. You could even change to the lower ball joint suspension introduced in 1962 by swapping parts from a 62 Ambassador. Not hard -- the steering knuckle, lower arm, and CM are all that changed.
I'm not so sure about that. I know for a fact that a 1961 CM is very different than a 1962. Found out even the 1961 oil pan will not clear the 1962 steering linkage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 7:30am
I wasn't aware of the oil pan change in 62. Looks like you'd need more than just the steering knuckle, lower arm, and CM -- but it can be done. I forgot about the strut rods too -- didn't have those in 57-61, so you'd need those as well as the frame brackets (which are bolt-on), and apparently the steering linkage and oil pan from a 62. Not worth the effort to track all that down for the suspension, but if you happen upon a 62 Ambo parts car for the engine (no factory V-8 in the 62 Classic), may as well change suspension also.

Purple, was that the V-8 or six oil pan that won't clear the steering linkage?
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic