TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 ohv performance engine build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 ohv performance engine build
    Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 7:29pm
back in August i melted all the conn rod bearings on the 195.6 OHV in my rambler roadster, after a hard-driving 2000 mile LeMons Rally. stopped short of parts exiting the block by not much margin. pulled it in september, took it to Pete Fleming, a local (San Fernando Valley) race and boat engine builder with a great reputation. within a few weeks. now, nearly 4 months later it's coming along... as is typical with shops like his, he's got a shop full of projects, each one unique, parts go out, come back, get fit, sent back out... 

the previous build was [what i thought was] a decent and solid rebuild. static balanced the pistons and rods, polished and smoothed ports and trough, Weber 32/36 carb, and an "RV" regrind cam from Galvin's AMC. EDI6 6 ignition, etc. ran great, from 2010 til august 2016.

the exact cause of the failure isn't exactly known, but probably too tight bearing clearances, and as it turns out, sloppy machine work. 

the new engine will have custom-forged pistons, compression raised to about 9:1, with a modern ring set. adequate and careful clearances. rotating parts balanced. careful 3-angle valve seats, and mainly, good work done with care by a pro.

Pete took a small scuff cut off the top of the block and the damn thing ain't flat at all. said the head was the same way. when we pulled the head there were signs of headgasket leakage between the siamese pairs where the gasket area is small. i'd been doing annual compression tests so no gross error/failure.

i found a NEW, not rebuilt, not NOS, oil pump. my old one seemed fine, but i assume there's got to be some slight ware on the pump body bore. though we determined (here, in another thread) that the partial-flow filtration oil pump system is actually fine, i'd already changed mine over to full-flow, with a custom pump top cover, and i'm adding a big fat oil cooler with thermostatic fan. it occurred to me that this engine was intro'd by Nash as a 75hp flathead, stroked a couple times, then AMC put the OHV on it, more than doubling the power output yet keeping the same oiling and cooling setup. and i measured 230F+ oil temperatures on one quite ordinary LA 70 mph freeway run. t'aint adequate as-is. and i've got a big aluminum radiator and a computer-controlled electric water pump, head stays solid 188F plus/minus 4F no matter WHAT.

so the pistons have arrived, i will go take pictures of them tomorrow, the block will be done this week or so, then the heads.

on bearing clearancing: since there's not a wide range of .001" over/under bearing sets available (surprise) the crank will get ground, installed, measured, and re-ground if necessary. Pete's got some solid machinist who can reliably take .001" off all journals. all i have to do is, umm, pay for it.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 7:39pm
looks good..
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 10:10pm
When I saw the title to this thread I though:  That guy needs to talk to Tom J.  Silly me.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2017 at 6:59am
It's old and been run hard... especially lately! No surprise it's not true on the deck now, or the head. I always had the head checked for trueness, but never had the block checked. Good idea since it's out and apart anyway, and OLD...  
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2017 at 8:12am
Having grown up and living in small town environment part of which at the time a Nash dealer existed along with a Desoto/Plymouth dealer so most of the vehicles in town were pretty much one or the other. I sure remember a number of hard driven Ramblers that in one form or another had either the Flathead or overhead version of the 195. They were reasonably quick and reliable. Your rebuild should run pretty well I would imagine. My 258 certainly has and the 232 on the engine stand should follow up fairly well too as soon as I figure out where that one is going to end up.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2017 at 4:26pm
was over at pete's, the pistons are in, got some photos...

pistons made by Arias. posed next to a one of a set of very old NOS Silvolite .060 over pistons i got from eBay close to a decade ago. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2017 at 4:34pm
Joe: yeah, i'm an idiot :-)

Frank: yes, all this old stuff has been run so long, rebuilt so many times, that i'm now reassessing some of my 'iron pile'. for example, that T96-OD i was running, and broke the 2-3 synchro on. it's been rebuilt twice by me, maybe once before that. its worn out! i had been assuming i'd save it for someone as a core or parts, but i'm not sure that's doing anyone any favors. the 3.78 axle and driveshaft, same thing. other than bent, what could go wrong with a driveshaft?!! well the yoke bearing cup bores bell and stretch, and are slightly loose. i never could get the vibration out of it. even with new parts it had play. if you saw my web page on it you can see i spent some effort on it. 8" and even 9" clutches, no new parts.

also this stuff was "light duty" then used 2X, 3X past product life. it's worn out. and unlike Chebby and Furd, there's just not that many cores/parts to go through to cherry pick. 

granted i'm doing unreasonable things now. for a sunday driver this is less of a problem (though still not a cake walk). s'ok, i'm having fun. i think (lol).

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2017 at 5:54am
Thanks Tom I have always enjoyed your efforts and devotion to these oldies.
Ron
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Gisulf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gisulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2017 at 12:57pm
Please continue to keep us posted, I'm reading with great interest.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2017 at 6:51pm
The OD unit itself is a good save, even if the trans in front of it is worn out. That R-10 unit is the same as used behind larger engines. That one should have three planetary gears, the heavier R-11 (I think that's the designation...) had FOUR so the force was spread out a bit more. Most V-8s used the four planetary set, sixes the three, but all the six cylinder sets were the same, and some smaller V-8s used the three planetary shaft units also.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic