TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

13" disc brakes for AMC's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2013 at 9:23am
I'm going to wait on the rebuild of my 77 AMX until I have my new bigger garage. I don't want to fill up my current garage with the AMX all apart before I finish the detail work on my Javelin. Having only 1 workable garage stall sucks. Having a 17" option for the front wheels does make the 13" brake option very viable. I just hope Rousch doesn't run out of them before I buy another set.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2013 at 11:00am
ProstreetAMX...

I've been following along and have re-read a few times, but I can't figure out if there is any "drop" built into this or if it's strictly a brake mount.

Is the spindle still in the factory location?

Thanks
Gregg
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2013 at 5:09pm
There is no drop on my setup since I already have an AirRide front suspension. The truck Hemi oil pan is pretty low and any more drop than I already have will be too low. There is no reason that if you use a thicker plate that you can't just make an all in one drop/ caliper mount. My bracket simply replaces the factory caliper mounting bracket but with a drum spindle. I am considering using my removed disc spindles on my next conversion since they have bigger bearings. Bigger bearings means a stronger set up with a slightly larger spindle.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
gary7909 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary7909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 8:17pm
when it come to machining the hubs to fit,  i may have missed somthing in the thread.   what exsactly do i need to do. i saw the post and went to the junkyard and bought all the parts so dont know where to start and was thinking about starting on the hubs.

( im on a military post and live in barracks sooo i need my car "looking like it is drivable") Wink

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 11:31pm
The very first pic on this thread shows how I removed a small amount of material around the hub center to let the Ford disc fit over it. Ford have a slightly smaller centric than AMC but only by a very small amount. I removed the studs to clear the grinding wheel that was chucked into a bench top drill press. I bolted a spindle to the plate on the press but left the plate slightly loose so I could feed the hub into the sanding stone gradually so it would remain perfectly round. You really need a drill press to keep everything square and round. A machine shop could do this for you but it is such a small difference in diameter that it only took a few minutes to reduce the diameter the needed amount. I had consider using a hole saw with the correct inner diameter to cut some metal off but this method worked pretty fast and accurate and I already had the drill press. The grinding stone is just a cheap one but worked great. Now a replacement Ford disc will fit with no extra work. I did a short video but can't seem to find it in my Photobucket albums. If you still need it I can repost it since I saved it on my phone I think.
I have added over 15,000 miles on this car since the conversion with no braking issues at all other than breaking the pad off my modified brake pedal during a pretty hard panic stop. The car still stopped great. All the bolts and spacers have held up with no issues. I still hit over 100 mph on a pretty regular basis but the Hemi limits me to 108 with some sort of factory rev limiter.
There are more pics of the brake swap in my hemi Javelin folder on Photobucket. Just do a search there.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 11:41pm

Different angle pic. Let the stone rotate the hub as you slow it slightly with your hand. This will keep it round as the hub rotates and only a slight amount of material is removed evenly as you slowly press the hob into the rotating stone. Test fit the disc every few minutes. Leave a little extra space for heat expansion but do not remove too much material since the disc is hub centric. Too big of a hole will let it wobble. The wheel stud holes are too big to recenter it on the hub.If the disc is not centered properly, it could rub on the caliper. This step was actually pretty easy in the long run. Make sure the spindle is firmly bolted to the drill press table and the bearing are ok so the hub rotates freely and square. I installed a spindle nut during this process (not shown in pics). Feed the table with the spindle and hub attached by leaving the drill press table lock slightly loose.

Edited by prostreetamx - May/20/2014 at 11:52pm
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
gary7909 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary7909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 10:21pm
sweet thank you

i don't have the equipment to do it myself. so i took your instructions to a fab shop and he said he has a soft spot for AMC"S and will do it for 20$ plates and hubs.  good deal i think. might just have my rambler rolling within a week Big smile
gary7909 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary7909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 11:20pm
sorry i thought of another question. the measurements for the bracket you posted is that for the 2000 mustang caliper or the  2013 ( 13" in) caliper. 
im using the 2000 mustang setup ( i all ready have the parts)  soi wanted to see if i need to adjust the caliper bracket distance on the mock up.  t.y

my hubs are done last i need is the bracket Star  

im also using the whole mustang brake system.  brake pedel and all. figured since the parts all came from the same vehicle it would need less adjustment.

Edited by gary7909 - May/23/2014 at 11:23pm
gary7909 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary7909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2015 at 5:51am
well i got the plates made and installed. ( had the fab shop make a set for 13in brakes at the same time so down the line i can upgrade). but my delema was when the caliper is inslalled the rotor rubs the back of it even before the pads are on. was wondering if you had any issue like this or what i may have gone wrong. i only have a few pics at my disposl but none that show the rubbing.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14516782946/ - https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14516782946/
  https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14353314628/ - https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14353314628/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14353314578/ - https://www.flickr.com/photos/19975275@N05/14353314578/
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2015 at 8:42am
. Your pic links only go to a main page for me but I believe you are talking about the inside surface of the part of the caliper that hits the outer edge of the rotor. Mine are very close but do not rub. You could slot the caliper mounting holes slightly so the caliper moves away from the centerline of the hub to increase clearance. It won't take much. I kept mine tight to make sure my calipers do mot rub on the inside of the wheels. I finailly got a late model Mustang spare in 18" to clear the brakes. I've already had a flat and my 16" spare did not fit without a wheel adapter to clear the caliper. I used locktight blue on my caliper mounting bolts so they don't move after they are installed. I have put about 20k miles on these brakes so far with no issues other than needing a new brake booster. This car stops great and the brake wear has been very even. No brake fade under hard braking at all.
 If the outer surface is not your issue and it's the side of the rotor that is hitting, did you notice that I removed 3/4" from the back of my spindles. My spacers will only work with the set up I used. Your spacers may vary if you are useing different parts.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic