TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:02pm
I run the dual quad Edelbrock AVS 500 carbs on a ram and have no issues. I/2 hard line to a fuel cell in the trunk and use the Robb MC mechanical pump with Startlite hose to the carbs. You may have a volume problem with the carter not keeping up or the floats could be off. When I received my carbs I remember checking the floats and one was way off. If not are you running steel lines? May need an insulating spacer(s) to keep fuel from cooking off
401fanatic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:26pm
ya. I’m gunna have to dig a little deeper. Thanks to all who responded. 
74 javelin 401 t-10 3.91 twin grip.
74 javelin 401 998 3.54 twin grip.                            
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 8:13pm
I'd bet you're boiling the fuel in the carbs after shutting it off. My Machine did this. After shutting it off it would be around five minutes and I'd see fuel dripping out of the carb's boosters going down the venturi.

Is there fuel in your oil?

-Steve-

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 6:46pm
I’ll have to double check the oil.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by 401fanatic 401fanatic wrote:

ya. I’m gunna have to dig a little deeper. Thanks to all who responded. 
How long are we talking about....More than a week?
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 6:44am
yes more than a week. Is there a diaphragm in the pump that may be bad letting the fuel drain back to the pump ?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2019 at 12:13pm
Yes, Diaphragm and Flapper Check Valves.
Mentioned Regulator since other folks having problems after getting new pumps
checked and found they were getting too MUCH pressure, like 12 psi or more,
from a "standard" replacement mechanical pump.  Plus a Regulator may be
"cheap insurance' against possible over pressure and isolate needles and Seats from pulses.
A dude who does a bunch of carbs for folk and has a home-made "engine-dyno" with load,
and does a bunch of youtube videos for his carb customers claims modern gas "likes" only 3-3.5 psi.
Modern fuel, even more so winter blend, boils / vaporizes much easier.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Feb/13/2019 at 12:16pm
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 3:59pm
I will be running a STR-11 crossram on my SC Rambler. It still has the original stock fuel line looks like 5/16 inch. Car has been sitting a long time many years. Lines are not rusted nor it underneath of car. Working on brakes and suspension. But already have my STR-11. I would like to leave the original fuel line in place. And add another set of lines alongside the original lines maybe another set of 5/16 inch. Tie both lines together at the tank and run two fuel pumps about 50GPH per pump. Or just run one 100GPH pump tied to both lines. I know some will think I am crazy with these post. And I am no where near this project yet. But like to prepare for it. Want to make sure I get enough fuel to Carbs and only want to do it once. Give me your suggestions please. Ramzilla
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 6:20pm
With today's gasoline formulation, might consider a re-circulating Fuel System
with a By-Pass Regulator and a Return Line to the Tank rather than
the usual, like stock, "dead head" type of Fuel System and Pressure Regulator ?
By-Pass Regulators help keep cooler fuel to the carbs and can be easier on the pump(s).
Maybe run that new Fuel Line in 3/8 or 1/2 and have it be the "feed"
and then use the stock 5/16 Line as the By-Pass Return Line ?
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 5:56am
Fuel tank is vented properly?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic