TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 rpm to 7k

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc 360 rpm to 7k
    Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 9:09am
What would be the minimum required to spin to a max of 7k safely? Trying to decide on my build direction and need to find my build limitations since I’m new at this. Want to spin it to max 7k to get as much hp as I can without having to move into the car. It’s going In a street/strip 70 javelin 5 speed.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 3:08am
I'd say for long term reliability, you probably need forged pistons and rods, but you would be able to turn 7K on factory parts if the valve train is up to it.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 10:53am
Forged rods and a way to keep oil in the pan at all times would be my first two boxes to check off.

I would think a properly prepared (cast) 360 crank would be ok at 7000,
 but I bet the whole thing would appreciate 6500 a lot more.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 8:05pm
I don't think 7,000 rpms correlates as a street/ strip engine. If you truly want an engine that will still be making power at 7,000 rpms it will not be a very streetable combination. Either way you need to plan on spending some serious money for reliability at that rpm level. Nothing can be over looked or skimped on.

Tom
Amc wannabe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 6:47am
Tom, the dream is to have it rev to somewhere like 6,500/6,800 and me being a pessimist want to ensure if I I slip up and don’t shift until 7k I’m not gonna be left pushing it.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 7:40am
I'm running reconditioned factory cast rods with ARP bolts and cast pistons in my 360, got 30 passes on it now turning 6300-6400 but it's been up to 6700 once or twice already, wish me luck  Smile
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I'm running reconditioned factory cast rods with ARP bolts and cast pistons in my 360, got 30 passes on it now turning 6300-6400 but it's been up to 6700 once or twice already, wish me luck  Smile
So long as you keep high quality gasoline running through the engine and not detonate it cast pistons will live a very long life.  A friend and I built a 460 Ford with .060" over Badger cast pistons he bought from PAW many years ago. That engine made over 600 1/8 mile passes running 6200-6300 rpms (up to 7,000 when he would miss a shift with the frontend in the air). Turned consistent 7.00-7.05 1/8 times and 10.85 1/4 mile times. We never had any issues with that engine and just ran VP Red for fuel. He built a larger engine later on and sold that cast piston engine to another racer that used it for several more years.  

Tom
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 3:51pm
Can add nothing from real world hands on experience, but would say from reading
agree with other poster, keeping oil in the Pan for the pick-up, aka adequate drain-back,
like the AN lines a forum member posted pictures of they added to the heads at the ends
rather than attaching them to the Valve covers.  It is a lot of reading and you will have to
create a log-in account to see the pictures, but there is a LOT of good AMC Traco Info posted
over on the Camaro Research Group CRG Forum under Trans Am Camaros under Traco Fans...
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 7:26pm
With a good valve train & ignition almost any motor will rev that high but..... In order to need to rev that high you'll need a few more things than a good short block. You'll need a cam, intake & heads that will support that kind of rpm or you will just be making noise & probably be slower than if you shifted lower. A good motor is achieved from a good combination. More food for thought.
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 8:38pm
Why spin it like that? Everybody wants a $10K+ race motor for the street that never gets built.
Build something realistic and go drive it instead of sitting around dreaming of being a hero.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic